• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

How to handle user-level app updates

Started by Jared, July 11, 2022, 06:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

Hi,

I wanted to ask how others are handling this, or if we're missing something about the way PatchMyPC works.  PatchMyPC application updates (I believe with both ConfigMgr and Intune) are unable to update applications that were 1.) installed manually by a user and 2.) installed to the user's profile, rather than the system.

Zoom Meetings is a good example.  We do not use Zoom in our organization, but if a user joins an external Zoom meeting, the Zoom Meeting client will install to their user profile.  PatchMyPC is unable to update this.  Zoom is obviously quite popular, so now we have many unpatched versions of Zoom Meetings in environment.

Zoom is popular enough where it may make sense to simply deploy the client to the entire workstation environment, but there are many other applications that can be installed in the user profile but where it does not make sense to deploy globally.

Just looking for feedback on this topic.  Thanks.

Wes Mitchell

We support updates to the machine based installs for ZOOM but only support base installs for the USER based install for zoom, https://patchmypc.com/supported-products

Jared

I see, thanks.  I'm thinking we're still better off ripping the user-based installs out and replacing them with the system-based install.  Either way, it'll be a somewhat heavy-handed extension of ConfigMgr in order to properly inventory these user-based installs for targeted deployments.  My colleague found a very good article that outlines using Config Baselines and custom hardware inventory classes in order to achieve this:  https://www.scottjfairchild.com/blog/17/how-to-inventory-microsoft-teams-zoom-and-other-user-based-applications

Interestingly enough, I do see that you support updating the user-based installs of Zoom Meetings in Intune.  Can this not be back-ported into ConfigMgr?

Liviu (Patch My PC)

Quote from: Jared on July 14, 2022, 09:05:21 AMInterestingly enough, I do see that you support updating the user-based installs of Zoom Meetings in Intune.  Can this not be back-ported into ConfigMgr?

We can only support the user-based version of Zoom for ConfigMgr apps, as there we can change the User Experience for the DeploymentType and set it to run in the user context.
This cannot be defined for Updates, however, as they will always run in SYSTEM Context.

Shangcheng4365

The user-based version of Zoom is only supported for the ConfigMgr application.