• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Java Updates not installing

Started by mlinkey, June 18, 2014, 08:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlinkey

It started with Java 7 Update 55, but also having problem with Java 7 Update 60.  After publishing and deploying, the clients don't seem to be downloading and installing it.  If you manually select it and say install it will just say downloading till you reboot.  Not sure what is going on, but thought I would ask here before we go back to the old way of doing it with an package to do the upgrade.  I like the SUP method better.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Is this for all your clients? At this point, it wouldn't be related to the catalog this sounds like it may be something with the configuration manager client/site. Are these by chance Internet Based clients?

mlinkey

This is for all clients yes.  This started when we started using this catalog updates.  Guess I will go back and create it the way we used to and see if it does the same.  All other updates work but the Java updates.

Could you email us all the client side configuration manger logs?

jasonmerchants

We are experiencing the same issue -- out of 400 workstations, it basically uninstalled JAVA (stays in the Add/Remove programs, but nothing actually runs) on almost 75% of those workstations.

I can send logs, as well, if they are needed.

mlinkey

Sorry for the delay.  Where do you want the logs sent to?

Quote from: jasonmerchants on June 23, 2014, 06:48:39 AM
We are experiencing the same issue -- out of 400 workstations, it basically uninstalled JAVA (stays in the Add/Remove programs, but nothing actually runs) on almost 75% of those workstations.

We have only seen this happen if Java is currupt possibly if a Java applet was being run during the install? This doesn't sound to be like the above issue where it wasn't even downloading on the client.

mlinkey

Just sent the logs.  Let us know what you see.

Quote from: mlinkey on June 24, 2014, 08:24:55 AM
Just sent the logs.  Let us know what you see.

I'm taking this thread offline with you via email / call.

This ended up being a certificate issue on the management point and not related to Java from our update catalog.

jasonmerchants

Quote from: Patch My PC on June 23, 2014, 06:22:38 PM
Quote from: jasonmerchants on June 23, 2014, 06:48:39 AM

We have only seen this happen if Java is currupt possibly if a Java applet was being run during the install? This doesn't sound to be like the above issue where it wasn't even downloading on the client.

That looks like the issue, actually... we are having no issues with any of the other patches being deployed with the catalog.

Is there something that can be built in to task kill Internet Explorer or browsers (or even reboot prior) before attempting the patch? Or check for the complete presence of the installation afterwards, to ensure it's installed successfully?

Have you seen: https://patchmypc.net/javabrowsercheckfeature?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=javabrowsercheckfeature we added a feature to allow browser checking with Java 7 Update 60. As far as rebooting before no there is not. We rely on the update feature within Configuration Manager.

jasonmerchants