• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Java gets corrupted if browser is not closed before update

Started by berni1234, April 22, 2013, 02:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berni1234

Hi,
all updates works perfect for me, except Java-Updates:
If a browser is opened during the update-process java gets corrupted. SCCM says "succesfully installed" but Java can only revived after complete removal and reinstall.
Due the behaviour of SCCM 2007 you cannot time the updates at logoff (where no browsers are opened) like on a "pure", GPO controlled, WSUS-Installations .
f.e. our update window is between 12:00-13:00 at noon, where most of our users are not working. but nearly everyone leave the browser-window open where our ERP-Application is running in JAVA
-> after the update process all java-installations are corrupted.
Is there a way to "pre-stage" the java-update and install it at next boot (i think some updates/servicepacks have such a manner). or maybe an other idea, to circumvent the problem ?

attached the logs, which are created during the update-process in windows\temp

i noticed the problem on OS XP/Win7 x86+x64 and Java7U15-21 (nothing other tested. maybe also prior versions)

thanks in advance,
bernhard

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Hi Bernhard,

Thanks for the detailed info.

Unfortunately, There isn't a way to schedule software updates to install at log off / next boot. Would you be able to change your maintenance windows to NON-Business hours? This would be the best option to ensure browsers aren't open that may conflict with the installation.

If you need to install it when no users are logged in your best option may be to use a application/package. You do have to ability to setup a advertisement to only run when no user is logged in.

Thanks,

Justin

Quote from: berni1234 on April 22, 2013, 02:46:30 PM
Hi,
all updates works perfect for me, except Java-Updates:
If a browser is opened during the update-process java gets corrupted. SCCM says "succesfully installed" but Java can only revived after complete removal and reinstall.
Due the behaviour of SCCM 2007 you cannot time the updates at logoff (where no browsers are opened) like on a "pure", GPO controlled, WSUS-Installations .
f.e. our update window is between 12:00-13:00 at noon, where most of our users are not working. but nearly everyone leave the browser-window open where our ERP-Application is running in JAVA
-> after the update process all java-installations are corrupted.
Is there a way to "pre-stage" the java-update and install it at next boot (i think some updates/servicepacks have such a manner). or maybe an other idea, to circumvent the problem ?

attached the logs, which are created during the update-process in windows\temp

i noticed the problem on OS XP/Win7 x86+x64 and Java7U15-21 (nothing other tested. maybe also prior versions)

thanks in advance,
bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

We created an optional switch to help detect when browsers are running. Please see this post: https://patchmypc.net/javabrowsercheckfeature?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=javabrowsercheckfeature for more information.

swhitcher

Would it be possible to add an option that either closes any conflicting programs that are running, or perhaps just force logoff of any users who are logged in?

Obviously you wouldn't push an update using that option when the computer is likely to be in use, but only in cases where patches are deployed during scheduled maintenance windows when staff aren't using the computers.  In my case, I send out emails reminding users to log off when leaving for the day if I have patches going out, but many will lock their computer instead, with one or more browser windows still open. 

Hi,

It's not likely we will create a process to close browsers automatically. Since updates are being run as the system account, there would be no way to notify the users the browsers will be closed. This could result in loose of data.

Quote from: swhitcher on August 29, 2014, 09:41:38 AM
Would it be possible to add an option that either closes any conflicting programs that are running, or perhaps just force logoff of any users who are logged in?

Obviously you wouldn't push an update using that option when the computer is likely to be in use, but only in cases where patches are deployed during scheduled maintenance windows when staff aren't using the computers.  In my case, I send out emails reminding users to log off when leaving for the day if I have patches going out, but many will lock their computer instead, with one or more browser windows still open.

swhitcher

Thank you for the response.  I can't speak for others of course, but for my situation I would rather accept the potential for data loss get updates installed when they're supposed to.  For one, the risk of data loss from killing open browser is lower than the risk if we just force logoff the user's windows session, which is the other option we've considered in order to ensure patches deploy successfully.  We send notices to all users reminding them when we have patches going out overnight, and tell them to log off of windows but leave the workstations turned on overnight.  If they ignore the notice or forget to log out and lose an open browser session as a result, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. 

Of course, not every organization would feel the same way, which is why if you ever do consider something to kill open browsers, it should definitely be an option, and not a default action. 

We will look into this as a potential option in a future update.

We included a feature to kill open browsers in version 3 of the Java wrapper script see: https://patchmypc.net/java-wrapper-script-version-3. This should be used with caution and proper communication only since it will kill browsers with no user prompts.

Quote from: Patch My PC on September 10, 2014, 10:59:51 AM
We will look into this as a potential option in a future update.