• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

TeamViewer 15.20.6 everyday

Started by highstream, August 30, 2021, 01:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highstream

Taken literally, that wouldn't work. Already done by deleting the temp location and running the program, leading to an update.

StPendl

Deleting the folder is not un-installing the application.
In addition many installers extract the files to the temporary folder and install from there.

highstream

In this case, where the new version is put in an appdata temp folder and there's no apparent evidence of it in the registry or in the CP's file list or RevoPro, I don't see where deleting is out of place.

The question remains, why didn't PMPC install the new version in \Program Files\Teamviewer? I would have expected PMPC to chime in by now.

StPendl

I can suggest one more thing:
1. enable the PMPC option to not delete the installer file
2. run the update through PMPC to download the installer file
3. after the update through PMPC, run the installer manually and check if there are any issues reported

If all fails, remove any presents of Teamviewer entirely from your system through "Start => Settings => Apps and Features" and reinstall using PMPC.

highstream

The really odd thing, and why I think this is a bug, is that if I update Tv from inside its program, then PMPC no longer calls for an update. That means PMPC is seeing it, but not handling it correctly. Certainly not like it handles other programs.

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

I just tested this on a fresh VM and TeamViewer is in Program Files and it seems TeamViewer also place a binary in your AppData, too, like you suggested.

highstream

Thanks. Now I assume it will be taken care of.

Omar (Patch My PC)

Quote from: highstream on September 08, 2021, 12:19:57 PM
Thanks. Now I assume it will be taken care of.

This is not a PMPC issue, PMPC only uses the official "/S" to install TeamViewer as it always did all these years without any problem.
It's working fine with every machine we have used and tested on.

highstream

I'm old enough to be able to say that I can't tell you how many hundreds of times I've been told that, only to turn out it really wasn't the vast majority of the time.

Ok, two questions working on the notion that it is local:
- What could be causing it for TeamViewer and only TeamViewer?
- PMPC Support person Adam Cook says he replicated it on a fresh VM: what might his and mine have in common that could lead to that result?

Thanks,

StPendl

Quote from: highstream on September 08, 2021, 07:04:47 PM
You could run the update manually and specify the command line option to create a log file.
Checking the log file could show the root cause of the update issue.

- PMPC Support person Adam Cook says he replicated it on a fresh VM: what might his and mine have in common that could lead to that result?
Due to my system disk being damaged two days ago I had to setup my system from scratch.
A fresh installation also leaves some files behind in the %TMP% folder, which is not really unexpected, since may installers do not clean up their temporary files.

From my point of view you have two options:

• remove Teamviewer entirely from your system, reboot the system and do a clean installation
  • update manually and check if you can find the root cause of the issue in a log file

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

I'm old enough to be able to say that I can't tell you how many hundreds of times I've been told that, only to turn out it really wasn't the vast majority of the time.

Ok, two questions working on the notion that it is local:

Thanks,

To be clear, I didn't say I replicated the "issue". I said it installs in Program Files and I made a remark on an observation that the binary was also stored in AppData. I confirmed that software installed normally and correctly.