• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Application Detection Issue - Zoom Meetings

Started by vidockq, August 04, 2020, 12:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidockq

Hello,

It seems that Detection rules for Zoom Meeting might not catch the correct version.
We have deployed Zoom Meetings as application and Updates.

As you can see in the attached picture, we have an older version installed (default installation) but there is a new version out as application but no updates come.

Cody Mathis (Patch My PC)

Hello,

Can you please check if the Zoom installation you have installed is a system wide version?

We commonly seen Zoom installs that are the user-based install that is in the user profile. If it is the per-user install then it cannot be updated by a Software Update, as this runs in system context.

vidockq

You are correct, after investigation, the users that experienced this problem are tied to Zoom installations on the user profile.
We found that most links in mails to install zoom will install on user profiles instead of system-wide.

If there is this limitation that it cannot be updated by a Software Update, then the only course that we see if to have an application with detection for
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\uninstall\Installer.exe, removal of it, and pushing the system-wide application instead.

Is there any way this could be incorporated into your scripts also? We already are working on something like this and we could share our scripts.

Hello,

The Zoom system-wide installer will actually automatically remove the user based installs! So you really just need to identify the users that have Zoom as a user based piece of software.

We have created a CI that can help identify systems that have Zoom though, which can be helpful for this.

https://github.com/PatchMyPCTeam/VSMUG/tree/master/2020-06/Code/CIs

In this folder, there is a file 'Zoom User Based Install CI.cab' which can be imported as a Configuration Item, and you can deploy a Configuration Baseline containing this and determine who has Zoom as a user.

We had shown this CI at our VSMUG meeting which was recorded. You can see it at this link https://youtu.be/Eo8KdkKRyW8?t=355

You can find the devices that have Zoom using the CI, and then deploy the system wide installer to ensure you can manage it going forward.

vidockq