• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Enhancement: Pre/Post Scripts

Started by grmorgan618, January 17, 2019, 07:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grmorgan618

I haven't had any time to look at the pre/post scripts yet so I had some questions... and if the answers are no, then emerges my enhancement requests....

1 - am I able to fail the patch from the pre-script? ... for instances,  if my pre-script returns a greater than 0 return code does the patch fail?
* my goal is to put logic in my pre script so I skip(fail) updates until the deadline, then kill processes but I want my pre-script to handle it - not be static like the publishing options are.

2 - is any information about the currently running update (product and version) passed to the pre/post scripts as arguments?
* my goal is to make a single dynamic pre/post script based on the product and when needed the version. in simple usage, a single script for all products that utilized a switch/case function (or ... :) since I see PatchMyPC is written in Vb.net Select/Case ...)

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Quote from: grmorgan618 on January 17, 2019, 07:38:45 AM
I haven't had any time to look at the pre/post scripts yet so I had some questions... and if the answers are no, then emerges my enhancement requests....

1 - am I able to fail the patch from the pre-script? ... for instances,  if my pre-script returns a greater than 0 return code does the patch fail?
* my goal is to put logic in my pre script so I skip(fail) updates until the deadline, then kill processes but I want my pre-script to handle it - not be static like the publishing options are.

I'm like 98% sure, we don't consider a pre/post script non-exit code of 0 a failure. The patch will return the exit code of the main installer regardless of the exit code of the pre/post script. I totally get where having an option to NOT proceed with the main update <IF> the pre-script gives a non-exit code of 0 could be helpful in some cases. From a coding side, I think we could add a checkbox in the pre/post script dialog for each product that says something like "Don't attempt software update if the pre-update script returns an exit code other than 0."

Quote from: grmorgan618 on January 17, 2019, 07:38:45 AM2 - is any information about the currently running update (product and version) passed to the pre/post scripts as arguments?
* my goal is to make a single dynamic pre/post script based on the product and when needed the version. in simple usage, a single script for all products that utilized a switch/case function (or ... :) since I see PatchMyPC is written in Vb.net Select/Case ...)

All actions for the wrapper we have is logged to "C:\Windows\CCM\Logs\PatchMyPC-ScriptRunner.log". This includes update, pre/post scripts, regkeys, etc.

grmorgan618

Thanks for the answers Justin -- appreciate the quick responses!

For question 2, ... if I have a pre-script and post-script set... does that script get passed any parameters from scriptrunner?
My question/request is more that
ScriptRunner would call my script like this
Script.ps1 "Adobe Reader" "37.0.1"

Ah, I see. We don't support custom parameters for the script it just runs the script file. This is probably something we could support in a future update though. I will add this to the radar.

grmorgan618

Awesome - this would really enable me to do some cool integration with the updates.. Especially if you allowed me to define the parameters :)
"Parameters to pass to ScriptRunner"... then allow me to define them from all the fields
%ProductName% %ProductVersion% %CVENumber% 

In the mean time, I'll work through tracing the parent processes and seeing what type of information i can pull out of those to help feed this.

Thanks Again!

Does this look like what you had in mind?

grmorgan618

Awesome - yup that will work for me.

Cool, this build will most likely release sometime this week.

We will support script parameters in the next update.