• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

PuP prevention & unpatched programs

Started by cornfused, April 20, 2018, 08:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornfused

I just used this application to patch a bunch of programs.

1) My concern is that some applications out there may have Potentially Unwanted Programs (PuPs) that are installed along with the primary application UNLESS you use a custom installation or uncheck boxes etc. What prevents PatchMyPC from installing these unwanted PuPs that may be piggybacking along with the main application being installed or updated.

2) I noticed that rerunning PatchMyPC it still shows three applications in the right hand pane at the top in red

PuTTY
Telegram Desktop version 1.2.6  -  1.2.6
VLC media player  -  3.0.0

P.S. I looked through the PatchMyPC log file and discovered that supposedly PMP had previously updated VLC and checking the version in VLC does indeed show that it is 3.0.1

4/20/2018 1:29:00 AM - Deleted file: C:\PatchMyPCUpdates\Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1.exe
4/20/2018 1:29:04 AM - Download URL: http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/3.0.1/win32/vlc-3.0.1-win32.exe
4/20/2018 1:29:04 AM - Download Path: C:\PatchMyPCUpdates\VLC media player 3.0.1 (x86).exe
4/20/2018 1:29:04 AM - Download size: 37.1 MB
4/20/2018 1:29:04 AM - Download Starting for: http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/3.0.1/win32/vlc-3.0.1-win32.exe
4/20/2018 1:29:25 AM - Total download time in seconds: 20.63
4/20/2018 1:29:25 AM - Install Command: /S
4/20/2018 1:29:25 AM - VLC media player 3.0.1 (x86) Downloaded Successfully
4/20/2018 1:29:25 AM - Installing VLC media player 3.0.1 (x86) Silently
4/20/2018 1:30:34 AM - Install Successful for VLC media player 3.0.1 (x86)

I do not see any entry in the logfile for PuTTY though being upgraded.

The only application that PatchMyPC offers to upgrade is Telegram. PuTTY and  VLC in the left hand panes show up as green. Why are they showing up as red in the right hand pane ?

Qiugiyaz

The most important thing I want to know is what.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Quote1) My concern is that some applications out there may have Potentially Unwanted Programs (PuPs) that are installed along with the primary application UNLESS you use a custom installation or uncheck boxes etc. What prevents PatchMyPC from installing these unwanted PuPs that may be piggybacking along with the main application being installed or updated.

We test all silent installs to verify PuPs aren't installed. If we ever detect an application that installs bloatware during a silent install, we will remove that application from our supported apps. If you choose to do a manual install you would need to ensure to uncheck any options for additional apps.

cornfused

Why though does PatchMy PC still was showing those applications were out of date even though they were just patched.

cornfused

Quote from: Justin on May 06, 2018, 08:15:25 AM
Can you post a screenshot?

Well I brought up the app and that issue is no longer. However if you have an application marked as "Disable Scanning for this App" it still shows up in red on the right hand panel.

If you then re-enable the scanning for the app in question and tell the app to re-scan Installed apps it still does not indicate there is an update available. You have to exit the application and restart it.

.NET usually requires a restart to install completely. I think this is what is happening here.

cornfused

My point is that this issue is before .NET was installed. Simply disabling the scanning for .NET and then enabling the scanning for .NET causes this issue.