• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Version 4.5.0.0 Removed Application Categories and Multiple Applications

Started by Mothertrucker, November 03, 2022, 01:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mothertrucker

Hello,

I've noticed that when updating a few PatchMyPC agents from v4.2.0.5 to v4.5.0.0, the application categories that used to be visible in the software list (such as Plugins & Runtimes, Browsers, Multimedia, etc) are now gone and have been replaced with just two categories, "Main Software" and "Portable Software".

This makes it much harder to scroll through the list and find applications easily, as you have one long alphabetically-sorted list now as opposed to separate categories that could be collapsed/expanded to only show the software relevant to you.

Here is a screenshot of the application categories as they used to appear in v4.2.0.5 and previous versions.

Secondly, as per the official changelog/release notes, a number of various applications/software that were previously available in v4.2.0.5 are no longer available in v4.5.0.0 with the reason given being that they're discontinued or incompatible.

I'd question the validity of that assertion for things like the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8, Cute PDF Writer, Remote Desktop Connection Manager, Kaspersky Free, Core Temp and few others on the list, which are neither discontinued nor have their installers changed in any significant way since the releases/version numbers of those applications that were available through PatchMyPC v4.2.0.5

Can we get a more thorough explanation as to why the application categories were removed and why certain software has also been removed?

LittlBUGer

I wanted to chime in that I agree with everything said here and want to make a note of the other forum topic which has been more vocal about the changes: https://patchmypc.com/forum/index.php?topic=6199

Thanks for listening to our feedback.  :)