• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Scheduled Tasks fails when Patch My PC self updates

Started by rfischer, March 13, 2018, 09:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfischer

When Patch My PC needs to self update it fails to do so via scheduled task. Then it hangs and never updates anything until I open Patch My PC manually to get the update. After that the schedule tasks start working again. I notice that the PatchMyPCUpdates directory is showing on the C:\ and there exist two updater files in there. Furthermore, the Patch My Pc updater is running in task manager, but I guess it is just hanging for some reason.  This is happening on serveral Windows 10 (1709) computers.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Do you know what version was failing to update via scheduled task. We have a bug in version 3x where the scheduled task would hang if it was set to run whether or not a user was logged in. This should have been fixed in version 4.0. So if you manually ran it and it updated it should be good going forward.

rfischer

As far as I can tell this has been happening to me in the last few versions of version 4. Just a few minutes ago I had to run it manually to get the update, and I know I did this about a week ago too which would have been version 4.0.0.7. I was wondering if it was the graphic that loads when you manually run patchmypcupdater.exe which may be making it hang when running silently.

rfischer

I'll send two.

rfischer

Another one with the same problem.

What is the path patchmypc.exe is running from? Are there any patchmypc*.exe processes running in the background?

First off, we really appreciate you finding this issue and providing details. We think we found the bug you were hitting. Can you run the scheduled task and see if auto updates works now?

rfischer

I create a directory called "C:\program files\pmpc" and run it from there.

I assume I'll have to first update and then wait for the next update to see if it is working. I'll let you know.

rfischer

I tried to update and scheduled task was failing. Now update failed when manually opening PMPC with the attached error.

Have you restarted? Or manually killed all processes starting with patchmypc*.exe

rfischer

I just gave it a reboot and tried running the scheduled task which did not work to update. I checked the task manager there was no running patch my pc processes, but it did create the patchmypcupdates dir on the c: with the updater. I deleted that and tried to open patch my pc manually and received the same errors.

rfischer

4.0.0.8. However, I just noticed my Antivirus program is blocking the updater. Let me add some rules and try again.

Side question, where does Patch My PC store its settings such as the settings checked or unchecked in the options menu?

rfischer

Alright I can confirm that it is working now after allowing it in my antivirus program. I can also confirm that my antivirus program was not blocking it prior to the bug fix. Thank you.