• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Java JDK 1.6 and 1.7

Started by jroosen, January 25, 2013, 08:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jroosen

Is there any chance we could get JDK 1.6 and JDK 1.7 updates added to the list? We have quite a few machines that have this installed in our lab environments because students take Java courses in our school.

Thanks in advance!

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Thanks for the suggestion! Let me take a look at the install options for the JDK.

Thanks,

Justin

I did some testing on JDK. I'm not sure if this would be a good product for SCUP. I noticed the default silent install leaves the old version installed is that normal?

jroosen

Yes it is normal and I do not think there is a switch to be able to uninstall the old version. Ironically this is how all the old java JREs used to work to. I used to put a pre and post command/script in the installs I did to msiexec -x {GUID} of the previous version.

Joe

Thanks for the info so simply installing the update is all that's needed no special configuration?

jroosen

Quote from: Justin on January 30, 2013, 05:25:34 PM
Thanks for the info so simply installing the update is all that's needed no special configuration?

Correct. We do not do any special configuration here. The msiexec -x {GUID} for old versions will be handled via other methods.

Joe

I will start some testing on the Java SDK to see how it would work from SCUP/ConfigMgr.

Thanks,

Justin

Quote from: jroosen on January 31, 2013, 08:52:45 AM
Quote from: Justin on January 30, 2013, 05:25:34 PM

Correct. We do not do any special configuration here. The msiexec -x {GUID} for old versions will be handled via other methods.

Joe

jroosen

This will likely not be added. The latest JDK's don't remove older ones so this wouldn't be a good update for SCUP logic.

ronmanp

Could this be re-evaluated? We'd greatly benefit from being able to support JDK through your catalog.

Thank you,
Pierre

Omar (Patch My PC)

We have added JDK 8 in today's catalog update.