• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Additional functionality for corporate use

Started by zackc, May 12, 2012, 08:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackc

Maybe some of this is included in the Pro version that the About screen eludes to...

It would be nice to be able to post (like on an intranet) or pass (via command line param) a configuration file that would specify which apps to try to install and/or update.  For instance, at my work place, we have several applications that are very sensitive to Java version, so we would like to withhold that update on our PC's.  It would also be nice to force the install of other software to all PC's, such as Keepass.

After an application had been installed or updated, it would be handy to be able to kick off a configuration script.  Many times that would just be a registry file to pre-populate some settings, but leaving it open-ended for a .VBS file would probably be more universal.

Having the ability for end-users to add software to the list would be great.  I'm not sure what your mechanism looks like, but if a simple XML/INI file could be created to identify software versions and download locations, that would make it much faster for not only us as an end-user, but also you as the developer/maintainer.  On a related note, I checked the box to update my KeePass installation, which it did, but it didn't install the very latest version.  PatchMyPC installed version 2.18, but 2.19 is out.

I think I saw someone else requesting it, but being able to install from a local copy would save us a lot of time and bandwidth in the corporate environments.

I like what you have going here.  It has a lot of potential for home use, repair-shop use, as well as corporate.

Zack

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Hi Zack,

You are able skip updates in the options panel these settings are stored in HKLM\Software\Patch My PC\Options you can export these settings and import them on any system where you want to skip Java.

Currently there is no way to automatically apply Other software unless an outdated version is detected. You can apply all common updates by using the /applyallcommon switch.

I probably wont add a feature to the free version to launch a file after the update is complete but maybe the pro version.

Same thing for the adding custom updates that won't be in the free version but may possibly be in the pro version (Probably not at the first release of pro though).

The definitions are controlled with an XML file so I may add the feature to pull updates from a local server in the pro version not free.

Justin

Quote from: zackc on May 12, 2012, 08:22:46 AM
Maybe some of this is included in the Pro version that the About screen eludes to...

It would be nice to be able to post (like on an intranet) or pass (via command line param) a configuration file that would specify which apps to try to install and/or update.  For instance, at my work place, we have several applications that are very sensitive to Java version, so we would like to withhold that update on our PC's.  It would also be nice to force the install of other software to all PC's, such as Keepass.

After an application had been installed or updated, it would be handy to be able to kick off a configuration script.  Many times that would just be a registry file to pre-populate some settings, but leaving it open-ended for a .VBS file would probably be more universal.

Having the ability for end-users to add software to the list would be great.  I'm not sure what your mechanism looks like, but if a simple XML/INI file could be created to identify software versions and download locations, that would make it much faster for not only us as an end-user, but also you as the developer/maintainer.  On a related note, I checked the box to update my KeePass installation, which it did, but it didn't install the very latest version.  PatchMyPC installed version 2.18, but 2.19 is out.

I think I saw someone else requesting it, but being able to install from a local copy would save us a lot of time and bandwidth in the corporate environments.

I like what you have going here.  It has a lot of potential for home use, repair-shop use, as well as corporate.

Zack