• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

What happened to Defraggler?

Started by LittlBUGer, September 19, 2014, 09:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittlBUGer

Hello,

Thank you for such a wonderful little program. But I noticed in the latest update that Defraggler has suddenly disappeared! I use this tool all of the time on computers I work on every day and Defraggler is one I always install. Is there something wrong with the latest version of the software or did Piriform ask to remove it (but not CCleaner) or what? Just curious as I'm sure there are others who would like it back as soon as possible.  :-)

Thank you.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Check out the release notes: https://patchmypc.net/download

WhatÔÇÖs new in 2.6.0.5:

Defraggler has been removed since the slim version is no longer available and the standard version auto installs Google Toolbar and Google Chrome

LittlBUGer

Ah, I see now, sorry I didn't catch this earlier. That is unfortunate. I hope that they do not start doing that for all of their tools.

I know in their forum they have a pinned and closed topic talking about slim builds, but it just says they will release the slim several days after the installer version. But this isn't the case in this situation, since this isn't a new version of Defraggler.

I know if you wanted to updated a currently installed Defraggler, you could just take the portable version and overwrite the files directly in the installation folder. But that doesn't work as nicely for a new install (though I guess you could create a shortcut to the files, but I'm not sure what else would be lost in the portable vs. installer).

Hopefully they change their minds and it comes back. Thanks.

Alex (Patch My PC)

Quote from: LittlBUGer on September 19, 2014, 12:35:16 PMI know if you wanted to updated a currently installed Defraggler, you could just take the portable version and overwrite the files directly in the installation folder. But that doesn't work as nicely for a new install (though I guess you could create a shortcut to the files, but I'm not sure what else would be lost in the portable vs. installer).

Probably nothing would be lost, since a disk defragmenting program shouldn't require an installation or registry entries. The portable version works just fine although I understand it would be difficult and more complex for Patch My PC to control portable software updates.

mikakaakinen

I do not know where to add this post, but I would like to thank you for Patch My PC. I do not know it well, but it seems like an excellent software. Thank you very much!