• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

GACUTIL.EXE BEING BLOCKED

Started by Chenz0, August 16, 2017, 09:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chenz0

Hi! Whenever i start PatchMyPC i get a notification that "gacutil.exe" is being blocked by one of my detection programs. Can't tell which one yet. working on it. I have MalwareBytes Pro, Avast Free, Cripto Monitor, Cripto Prevent and SpyBot Anti-Beacon installed. No problems till today. Notice comes up in Windows Notification Box in lower right of the screen but doesn't give me any info on which program is doing the blocking. PatchMyPc seems to work fine anyway. Detects and updates programs just like before this started. What is, "gacutil.exe?"

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Hi There,

In our latest version, we use GACUtil (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/tools/gacutil-exe-gac-tool) to load a DLL for our task scheduler. If you are able to get it excluded, it will just need to run once to install the DLL file. After that, you can then re-enable your tool and it shouldn't try to block it anymore.

Thanks

Quote from: Chenz0 on August 16, 2017, 09:14:08 AM
Hi! Whenever i start PatchMyPC i get a notification that "gacutil.exe" is being blocked by one of my detection programs. Can't tell which one yet. working on it. I have MalwareBytes Pro, Avast Free, Cripto Monitor, Cripto Prevent and SpyBot Anti-Beacon installed. No problems till today. Notice comes up in Windows Notification Box in lower right of the screen but doesn't give me any info on which program is doing the blocking. PatchMyPc seems to work fine anyway. Detects and updates programs just like before this started. What is, "gacutil.exe?"

Chenz0

Not in my skill set. Thanks anyway. Funny, I have 3 other systems running the same version of windows and NP. Thanks anyway.

Chenz0

Figured it out. It was cripto prevent from Foolish IT, an anti ransomware program I have installed. I removed the protection plan, ran Patch My PC and no warning. Re-did the protection plan and restarted the system. After restart I ran Patch My PC again, no warning. Thanks for the help.