• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Stops suddenly during updating

Started by LittlBUGer, September 26, 2017, 08:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittlBUGer

Hello,

I use the free version of PatchMyPC regularly and I've noticed a weird thing on the past few versions. Intermittently (randomly on various different computers) after it scans the PC and I select a few additional programs I want and click on the button to start the updates, it will proceed, but then sometimes, out of the blue, just stop after one of the program updates. It completes whatever program it was on, and then just stops, like I clicked on the Cancel Updater button, even though I didn't touch the machine (I leave the computer alone and let it do its thing while it updates). I've even had it do it multiple times in a row after I clicked start updates twice to restart it after it stopped.

I thought it was maybe because I was moving the mouse outside of the program window or moving it off of the main update button or something, but it doesn't seem to matter. It still happens at weird times, and sometimes on some machines, sometimes not at all.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or somewhere the cursor needs to be when updating so it doesn't get interrupted? It's annoying to start the process (which can take a long time depending on internet connection and number of programs selected), walk away or do other work without paying attention, and then come back and have it only completed 2 of 30 when it had plenty of time to do them all. I work on several computers at a time every day and want to get them out the door before more come in, so it's just the waste of time that bothers me is all. Otherwise, the software is awesome and I praise everything you do with it.  :)

Thanks for your help.

LittlBUGer

I've seen this problem several more times in the past couple of days. I can't seem to run it on any machine without it stopping, no matter what I do. I can leave the mouse still after clicking the button, or move it, turn off anti-virus, etc., it just stops randomly. It's becoming very annoying and I hope something can be done to fix it when you get a chance.

I'd be happy to help troubleshoot or give more information if needed.

Thank you.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Thanks for the info we are looking into this.

Curt (Patch My PC)

Do you have a list of programs that were being updated or being installed, and between which programs this occurs?

LittlBUGer

The time when it stops is random, there's no rhyme or reason for it to happen, no specific program or anything. But, I can at least give you a list of the most common tools I install on most of the computers I work on:

Adobe Flash Plugin, Adobe Flash ActiveX, Adobe Shockwave, Java 8 (both x64 and x86), Google Chrome, VLC Media Player, 7-Zip, CCleaner, Classic Shell, Adobe Reader DC, LibreOffice, Mozilla Thunderbird, Paint.Net, AVG Free, MalwareBytes

I know, that probably doesn't help, but please let me know if there's something else I can do.

Also, a second but minor annoyance... Now when I enlarge the windows size (by clicking and dragging the bottom right corner), the window resizes fine along with the right-pane inside, but the left pane (the list of tools) does NOT resize. It stays whatever size that PatchMyPC opened in. It's minor as I just like to have more real estate to view all of the tools, but still, would be nice if it resized like it did before.

Thanks.

We think this issue should be fixed in version 3.2.5.1 that was just released. Let us know if things look good in this update.

Quote from: LittlBUGer on September 29, 2017, 09:53:49 AM
The time when it stops is random, there's no rhyme or reason for it to happen, no specific program or anything. But, I can at least give you a list of the most common tools I install on most of the computers I work on:

Adobe Flash Plugin, Adobe Flash ActiveX, Adobe Shockwave, Java 8 (both x64 and x86), Google Chrome, VLC Media Player, 7-Zip, CCleaner, Classic Shell, Adobe Reader DC, LibreOffice, Mozilla Thunderbird, Paint.Net, AVG Free, MalwareBytes

I know, that probably doesn't help, but please let me know if there's something else I can do.

Also, a second but minor annoyance... Now when I enlarge the windows size (by clicking and dragging the bottom right corner), the window resizes fine along with the right-pane inside, but the left pane (the list of tools) does NOT resize. It stays whatever size that PatchMyPC opened in. It's minor as I just like to have more real estate to view all of the tools, but still, would be nice if it resized like it did before.

Thanks.

LittlBUGer

It seems like it is fixed. I've ran it 4-5 times (once on 4-5 different machines) and I don't recall it stopping at all. So thank you!  :)  If it crops back up, I'll let you know.

I'll create a new topic about the other minor annoyance. Thanks again.