• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Change path for Portable Apps

Started by UnknownScorpion, January 01, 2023, 10:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnknownScorpion

Add a setting so we can change the default location of where portable apps are installed.

When a portable app installs, the console shows (I renamed the username):  "Using Default Download Path:   C:\Users\%username%\OneDrive\Desktop\PortableApps"

So the app uses this path when we install a portable app, but when patchmypc opens up and scans for updates needed it writes to the log file "Cannot get portable App path from the registry."  You can see all over the forum where people are pasting their log file everybody has this happening.

When fixing this to allow us to customize the path and stop this error log, please make this setting work like the other options that are exporable app settings to the ini, that's where the setting belongs not in the registry, that way when we reconfigure a computer and copy back patchmypc with the ini file it has the setting that would otherwise be lost in the registry.

StPendl

Quote from: StPendl on October 09, 2021, 11:18:31 PMSee the attached image about how to change the path for the portable apps folder.

PMPC is still maintained, the last software update was a few months ago.
The software definitions are updated on workdays.

See the post above for the solution, found it by searching the forum for "portable"  :o

UnknownScorpion

Quote from: StPendl on January 01, 2023, 10:54:47 PM
Quote from: StPendl on October 09, 2021, 11:18:31 PMSee the attached image about how to change the path for the portable apps folder.

PMPC is still maintained, the last software update was a few months ago.
The software definitions are updated on workdays.

See the post above for the solution, found it by searching the forum for "portable"  :o

Ok thanks for that! I saw this post before but didn't recognize it was a solution in the image showing how to change the path.  The thing is this is still a bug because the app doesn't start out with knowing where the portable app path is, look at everybody's log they post it has "Cannot get portable App path from the registry."

After I changed the path I see it added the registry entry setting the portable app path and the log file no longer says it can't get the path.

This setting should be in the ini file instead of the registry  :(