• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Home User - Connection Error

Started by oldguy654, April 30, 2019, 03:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy654

Since an upgrade on 4/28 I cannot start patchmypc.
Get message entitled Connection Error saying 'unable to connect to patchmypc.com" and saying to check my internet connection.
I have no problem browsing, do not use a proxy, all else is good.
Downloaded new file, will not even install because of that error.
How to get connection and installed.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

oldguy654

The logs showed software installing software updates properly until it upgraded the patchmypc software 4/29.
After that log shows a series of listing as below for each attempt since:
4/29/19 11:17:40 - Patch My PC Started
4/29/19 11:17:40 - Checking connection to patchmypc.com
4/29/19 11:17:40 - Unable to connect to patchmypc.com. Please verify you have internet connection And try to browse to https://patchmypc.com. Error: Unable to connect to the remote server

Deleted everthing and downloaded the latest available on the site and log shows:
5/1/19 14:37:40 - Patch My PC Started
5/1/19 14:37:40 - Checking connection to patchmypc.com
5/1/19 14:37:40 - Unable to connect to patchmypc.com. Please verify you have internet connection And try to browse to https://patchmypc.com. Error: Unable to connect to the remote server

Rungsiman

I think there is a confused answer to this post.

It appears you don't have access to our website. This would be AV/Firewall issues, but it seems specific to your machine as we aren't having web issues.

Matthew Conway

Quote from: Rungsiman on May 02, 2019, 03:04:53 AM
I think there is a confused answer to this post.

Why do you think so?

oldguy654

Patchmypc is not shown as being blocked by my firewall or AV.
In fact listing it as allowed does not change anything.
I can download the software, I can post on this forum,
but I do not have access to your website?

Would really like to get rid of the message and the error exception
"Configuration system failed to initialize" that is shown each time attempting to run the software.
Thanks

RichardRH

I am getting the same error.  Not apparent why not, and the bald statement that it is either an AV or firewall that is doing the blocking is decidedly unhelpful (unlike the program - when it is allowed to work!)  The error appeared without any prior tweaks to the AV or firewall.  The program is allowed, specifically, to go through, that has been changed since the error started appearing but was not necessary before.

Am running Win 10 Home (latest) with Windows Defender running, MalwareBytes installed but switched off...

So some real suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Can you attach the patchmypc.log file?

RichardRH

RichardRH

I have found a solution, at least it has worked for me. 
I installed the latest Windows 10 update 1903, and then when I next tried PatchMyPc I got exactly the same error.
Then I removed (using "Everything" to search my hard drives (but not searched the Registry), and had a list of all files with the name in, including the executable, prefetch, logs, and other system files.
I then downloaded a new (?) at least another copy of the PatchMyPc.exe file
And ran it (first from its download location) and it worked fine and did the updating
And then searched and deleted all references as above using the same method
And finally moved it to its location to run as normally.
Hey Presto, it works !

Shame no one could help me before, but it's a big beautiful world if you look in the right place, and don't treat the POTUS with the seriousness he wants but the contempt he deserves.  In the meantime, I am running the BOINC app to help climate researchers with their models, and hope y'all are doing what you can too!
Bye 

SherwoodHemby

Can I use this patch finally? Or do I need to do anything further here?