• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Nextcloud in newer versions

Started by crispy_nicia, July 12, 2021, 01:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crispy_nicia

Hello everyone,

I think something is wrong with the Detection/Installable Rule of Nextcloud in the PatchMyPC catalog.
In older versions two registry keys Value and Version strings are checked, in more recent versions (for example 3.2.4.20210) the following is checked:
Windows Version >= Custom Version.

The automatic update via PatchMyPC currently does not work at all for the Nextcloud installations in my environment. Are there any known problems?

Thanks a lot

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

I just compared the applicability logic for the first update we added to our catalogue for Nextcloud  (3.2.1.20210) versus what's in there today (3.2.4.20210) and I do not spot any differences like you suggest.

There are not any known problems for Nextcloud.

When you say "does not work at all", what are you experiencing?

crispy_nicia

Thanks for the tip Adam!
I have to admit that I was not familiar with the possibility of using the options for applicability rules via Patch My PC Publishing Service. I looked for it in System Center Updates Publisher, which we don't use for productive updates anymore. Unfortunately, the above mentioned rule is specified in it. Never mind, please ignore it.

I have now done the following steps: the entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{E4F354C3-4074-484E-9158-A74D9588652F} was present. When I changed the value under DisplayVersion from 3.2.3.20210624 to 3.2.3, the update was also provided to me for the client. I have now been able to recreate this on several clients. Strange.

Is it possible to change the value (test wise) in the update?
From 3.2.4.20210
To 3.2.4

<bar:RegSzToVersion RegType32="true" Key="HKEY_LOOP_TARGET" Subkey="\" Comparison="LessThan" Data="3.2.4.20210" Value="DisplayVersion" />

The problem with long version numbers is also familiar to me from MECM. Sometimes the value of the version number has to be changed from version (number) to text. Is this perhaps due to the locale?

Thanks a lot

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

Thanks for the detail! We will update this in the next catalogue release.

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

This should be updated in today's catalog release. Please reach out if you still run into issues!

crispy_nicia

Hello Patch My PC Team,

thank you very much for the implementation. Unfortunately, the detection method still does not work like this. Version 3.2.3.20210624 is installed on the client. The detection does not work until I set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{E4F354C3-4074-484E-9158-A74D9588652F} DisplayVersion to the value 3.2.3. With the value 3.2.3.20210624 the detection does not work.
I still think that the detection fails because of the long version number. As already mentioned, we sometimes have such problems even with detection of software installations with long version numbers. A version number with two dots (e.g. 3.2.4 instead of 3.2.4.01234) seems to be the maximum for some reason.

IsInstalled Rules:
<bar:RegKeyLoop Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" TrueIf="Any">
<lar:And>
  <bar:RegSzToVersion Key="HKEY_LOOP_TARGET" Subkey="\" Comparison="GreaterThanOrEqualTo" Data="3.2.4.0" Value="DisplayVersion" />
  <bar:RegSz Key="HKEY_LOOP_TARGET" Subkey="\" Comparison="BeginsWith" Data="Nextcloud" Value="DisplayName" />
  <bar:RegDword Key="HKEY_LOOP_TARGET" Subkey="\" Comparison="EqualTo" Data="1" Value="WindowsInstaller" />
</lar:And>
</bar:RegKeyLoop>

IsInstallable Rules:
  <lar:Or>
    <bar:RegKeyLoop Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" TrueIf="Any">
      <bar:RegSzToVersion Key="HKEY_LOOP_TARGET" Subkey="\" Comparison="LessThan" Data="3.2.4.0" Value="DisplayVersion" />
      <bar:RegSz Key="HKEY_LOOP_TARGET" Subkey="\" Comparison="BeginsWith" Data="Nextcloud" Value="DisplayName" />
    <bar:RegKeyLoop RegType32="true" Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" TrueIf="Any">
      <bar:RegSzToVersion RegType32="true" Key="HKEY_LOOP_TARGET" Subkey="\" Comparison="LessThan" Data="3.2.4.0" Value="DisplayVersion" />
      <bar:RegSz RegType32="true" Key="HKEY_LOOP_TARGET" Subkey="\" Comparison="BeginsWith" Data="Nextcloud" Value="DisplayName" />
  </lar:Or>
  <bar:WindowsVersion Comparison="GreaterThanOrEqualTo" BuildNumber="16299" MajorVersion="10" MinorVersion="0" />

Thanks for the report, we will see if we can replicate and fix this issue.

We were able to replicate this and will work to resolve this week.

A fix just rolled out in today's catalog update, we had to fall back to a file version detection if the registry version detection does not work. This seems to have been a problem since they switched over to the MSI based installer. We modified the existing updateid, so you will want to republish https://patchmypc.com/when-and-how-to-republish-third-party-updates the Nextcloud update to make this change active, otherwise all future releases should be fixed as well.

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

We updated the applicability rules again today, please ensure you republish ASAP as there was a mistake in the logic causing Nextcloud update to be installed, even if the device did not have Nextcloud previously installed.

crispy_nicia

Everything works great now. Thank you guys!
The newer detection method also works for my environment!