• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

MSI Missing File Issue with Powertoys 0.31.2.0 when opening app

Started by beefy80, February 19, 2021, 09:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefy80

I have received reports from my users today that Power Toys 0.31.2.0 comes up with an MSI when they try to start the app.  Appears to be an issue in Power Toys installer when installed under the System Account.  See
https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/issues/9572 for more details.  Wanted to give a heads up in case anyone else notices this issue.

Andrew Jimenez (Patch My PC)

We are aware of this issue and was hoping that there would be a release to resolve it from the PowerToys team fairly quickly... That does not seem to be the case. It seems PowerToys does not install correctly as SYSTEM at the moment.

Hi there, I think we have determined that PowerToys is actually just making a bad shortcut in the start menu.
We've tested this a bit, but before we make this the standard for this app, could we get a few testers to use this as a post-install script for this app and confirm it fixes the problem?

$PowerToys = "{0}\PowerToys\PowerToys.exe" -f $env:ProgramFiles
$ShortCut = "{0}\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\PowerToys (Preview).lnk" -f $env:ProgramData

if (Test-Path $PowerToys) {
    if (Test-Path $ShortCut) {
        Remove-Item $ShortCut -ErrorAction "Stop"
    }
    $shell = New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell -ErrorAction "Stop"
    $shortcut = $shell.CreateShortcut($ShortCut)
    $shortcut.TargetPath = $PowerToys
    $shortcut.Save()
}

beefy80

Tested on my device and that seems to fix the issue for me.  So it's a rouge shortcut that is causing the issue.

Yeah, it seems like the installer is generating some sort of "advertisement" shortcut for users instead of just a shortcut to the install.