• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Enhanced Command Line Options

Started by quicksilva, January 02, 2012, 09:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quicksilva

Hi:

Good work on creating such an application.  For several customers of mine who do not like to perform PM on their PCs, I created a batch file which can perform many of those tasks with one click or automatically when scheduled with Windows Task scheduler.

I tried running your latest version of PMPC on my Windows XP Pro_SP3 system using the Windows interface and it performed very well.  However, it looks as if another update to your software may be in order soon as it reported Mozilla Thunderbird as being out of date when I had version 9.01 installed and it recommended version 8.0 (no biggie here).

When I tried to run your software from the command prompt using the /s switch, I noticed that the process would NOT unload once it had 'done its thing' (invoke Windows task manager) and my batch file would HANG.  Is there a way to modify your code so that the process ends once it has finished its task? 

Another thing which would be nice would be some sort of way to configure your program so that it can be more customized when being run from the command prompt.

Below is the small batch file I created to test out the command line switches of PMPC:
@echo off
cd C:\progra~1\patchm~1
rem d:
rem cd d:\progra~1\patchm~1
echo Starting Patch My PC...
call PatchMyPC.exe /s
exit
FYI, the result is the same if I remove the 'call command' from the file as well as the 'exit' command.  I use a similar type batch file to invoke CCLeaner and when invoked by the command line, CCleaner retains the settings I made in the Windows interface (I believe this is done by an '.ini file'.  Below is an example of the CCleaner my batch file:
@echo off
cd C:\progra~1\ccleaner
rem d:
rem cd d:\progra~1\ccleaner
echo Starting CCleaner...
call ccleaner.exe /auto

Thanks in advance for your help

Dan

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Hey Dan,

The current definitions for Thunderbird is 9.0.1 for PMPC. As far as the /s switch goes there certainly was a problem on my side with PMPC not auto closing when using the /s switch after updates are completed. This will be fixed in 2.0.7.2 most likely later today or tomorrow then you batch should work fine.

Thanks for catching this!

Justin

Quote from: quicksilva on January 02, 2012, 09:01:33 AM
Hi:

Good work on creating such an application.  For several customers of mine who do not like to perform PM on their PCs, I created a batch file which can perform many of those tasks with one click or automatically when scheduled with Windows Task scheduler.

I tried running your latest version of PMPC on my Windows XP Pro_SP3 system using the Windows interface and it performed very well.  However, it looks as if another update to your software may be in order soon as it reported Mozilla Thunderbird as being out of date when I had version 9.01 installed and it recommended version 8.0 (no biggie here).

When I tried to run your software from the command prompt using the /s switch, I noticed that the process would NOT unload once it had 'done its thing' (invoke Windows task manager) and my batch file would HANG.  Is there a way to modify your code so that the process ends once it has finished its task? 

Another thing which would be nice would be some sort of way to configure your program so that it can be more customized when being run from the command prompt.

Below is the small batch file I created to test out the command line switches of PMPC:
@echo off
cd C:\progra~1\patchm~1
rem d:
rem cd d:\progra~1\patchm~1
echo Starting Patch My PC...
call PatchMyPC.exe /s
exit
FYI, the result is the same if I remove the 'call command' from the file as well as the 'exit' command.  I use a similar type batch file to invoke CCLeaner and when invoked by the command line, CCleaner retains the settings I made in the Windows interface (I believe this is done by an '.ini file'.  Below is an example of the CCleaner my batch file:
@echo off
cd C:\progra~1\ccleaner
rem d:
rem cd d:\progra~1\ccleaner
echo Starting CCleaner...
call ccleaner.exe /auto

Thanks in advance for your help

Dan

quicksilva

Thanks for your speedy reply Justin!!

I found a temporary solution to the 'hanging issue'.  I've tested it out on two machines, one with Windows XP HOME_SP3 and the other with Windows PRO_SP3 and BOTH worked (TADA).  The trick here is to run PatchMYPC.exe in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME.

I have no idea if this workaround will work with Windows Vista and/or Windows 7.

Please keep up the good work and thanks again.

Dan

quicksilva

Hi Justin:

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you on this.  Had a customer call shortly after my last post and I've been pretty busy the rest of the day.
I clicked on your link and downloaded the latest version of your software and indeed the 'hanging' problem went away WITHOUT having to run that APP in 'compatibility mode'.  Not only did I try this latest revision successfully in my wife's Windows XP HOME_SP3 system, I also tried it out in my 'dual boot' system under Windows XP PRO_SP3 and it also did NOT hang when running it in a batch file.  When I invoked the program in my system using the Windows GUI, it still said that my Thunderbird 9.0.1 e-mail software needed to be updated to 8.0.0 but, as before, that's no 'biggie' for me.

I then 'fired up' my 'dual boot' system to Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)_SP1.  It took me a couple of hours to apply most of the Windows Updates and then I tried running my little batch file to test out your program running silently at the command line under this environment and it worked just like it did under both systems which were running Windows XP_SP3-As it should with NO HANGS.

Thank you and nice job.

I shall be looking forward to future developments in the 'APP' and as far as I am concerned, it's a KEEPER.

Thanks again.

Dan

Thanks! Would you mind sending a screenshot of what it's saying for Firefox 9.0.1 needing updated when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Justin

quicksilva

Hi Justin:

Mozilla Firefox is fine.  The version snafu is with Mozilla Thunderbird.  I also noticed that same behavior with respect to Adobe Shockwave. 

This is my first time trying to post a screen shot.  I hope I don't mess it up.  I just downloaded the very latest version of PMPC from your website and the screenshot posted (I hope) is what was shown from running that latest version of your software on my PC.

Hey,

Thanks for the Screen Shot. These programs are showing up because the add/remove program entries in the registry must not have been over written when the updates were installed or there are multiple versions installed. You can find these entries here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall just do a search in this key for Firefox you will most likely find the entry for Firefox 8.0. I wouldn't suggest deleting the keys for Firefox and Shock wave unless you have experience with editing Windows registry hope this helps.

Justin

Quote from: quicksilva on January 03, 2012, 07:32:56 PM
Hi Justin:

Mozilla Firefox is fine.  The version snafu is with Mozilla Thunderbird.  I also noticed that same behavior with respect to Adobe Shockwave. 

This is my first time trying to post a screen shot.  I hope I don't mess it up.  I just downloaded the very latest version of PMPC from your website and the screenshot posted (I hope) is what was shown from running that latest version of your software on my PC.

quicksilva

Hi Justin:

Thanks for posting a reply.  I think you are getting Mozilla FIREFOX and Mozilla THUNDERBIRD mixed up but I understand where you were going with this and you were ABSOLUTELY CORRECT about those registry entries.  The same also held true for Adobe Shockwave and I started to suspect that something was amiss.

After a bit more poking around, my suspicions were confirmed.  Part of the problem was the PMPC software and part of the problem is the way my PC is configured but THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction.  Let me explain...

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, my PC is DUAL BOOT.  I use Windows XP PRO_SP3 as my primary OS but I can also boot my PC to Windows 7 ULTIMATE (32 bit)_SP1.  Now it gets even more interesting...  I have two SATA hard drives installed in my PC.  One hard drive has 2 primary partitions-one partition for Windows XP PRO and the other partition for Windows 7 Ultimate.  My second hard drive has 3 partitions (NOT primary)-one partition is for PROGRAMS for Windows XP, one partition for PROGRAMS for Windows 7, and the last partition for all my downloads. 

Unlike most WINDOWS users, my C partition only contains my OS (and certain ancillary files/folders such as paging file) with a few exceptions.  When I install an application, it goes to my D partition.  If I download something, it goes to my E partition.  I have my Windows XP OS configured so that the primary partition for my Window 7 installation is HIDDEN as is the PROGRAMS partition for Windows 7.  When I run Windows 7 on my PC, my Windows XP partition is HIDDEN as well as the PROGRAMS partition for Windows XP.  The downloads partition is visible when running either OS.

This is what I think happened which helped cause the inconsistencies I noted earlier with respect to Mozilla THUNDERBIRD and Adobe SHOCKWAVE.  The very first time I ran PMPC on my PC using the GUI, I had it only scan everything.  I later reran that APP and I had it update all the common items as well as the optional items.  Many, but NOT all, of the items your software help to update landed up being installed on my C partition.  I found subdirectories in my PROGRAM FILES folder on my C partition for Mozilla FIREFOX, Mozilla THUNDERBIRD, and Java version 7.  Those did NOT exist there prior to my updating my system via PMPC.  I agree with you that one must be EXTREMELY CAREFUL poking around in the registry (even if you know what you are doing).  I decided to take the safer approach and I uninstalled FIREFOX, THUNDERBIRD,  JAVA, as well as the older version of Adobe Shockwave via SOP and then went over everything again with IO Bit Uninstaller to FORCE UNINSTALL whatever remained for the above mentioned APPS in either my D partition or my C partition.  I then ran the utility in CCleaner clean my REGISTRY, followed by the same action using Wise Registry Cleaner.   I then downloaded the latest versions of FIREFOX, THUNDERBIRD, JRE 7 update 2 and reinstalled them like I normally do (to my D partition).  Although a bit of a PITA, my system is now back where I want it to be and those 3 APPS are working fine and NONE of my settings were lost (whew).

I then reran the newest version of PMPC and just had it scan everything.  NO INCONSISTENCIES (TADA).

Sorry if it appear that I threw you a knuckle ball.  That was NOT my intent.  You have helped me and now I am trying to help you.  As stated in one of my earlier posts, I think this program is a KEEPER and I'm willing to 'roll up my sleeves' to help you make it even better.  In its current form I think this program will work OK for MOST of your average users who only have one partition on their hard drive.  Where I think the difficulty will arise is with those few users like me who install their programs in a location other than C:\PROGRAM FILES.

Sorry to have been so long winded.  If you wish, I am willing to post the log file for my PC generated by PMPC assuming it is allowed here.  If not, I will gladly e-mail it to you.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Dan

quicksilva

Hi Justin:

I've been watching this forum closely, done some thinking on the above, and played around with PMPC a little more.

I honestly think that it will be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT for PMPC to update programs silently via the command prompt WITHOUT experiencing the difficulties I cited in my previous post (those few people whose programs are NOT located in C:\Program Files\).  I know for a fact that MOST program installations default to the C:\Program Files\ subdirectory and will only install to a different location if forced to do so by selecting an ADVANCED installation option.  I am only aware of a few programs which retain the location of the previously installed version of that particular application when either updated or re-installed.

I am very pleased with this program overall and I plan upon incorporating its command line features (via a batch file) as an option to my customers from here forward.

I just finished making a donation to your cause.

Keep up the good work.

:) :) :)

Dan

jmilne

Hi Quicksilva,
Very interested in your bat scripts for all windows versions. :-))) pleeeaase. :)
If you have finished them would sure save me working through the same project again.

Great work Justin, I too look forward to donating to your work. I support many computers and your product if working via bat script will be a massive time saver.
Cheers.