• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Updating Java and Skype (and possibly others) changes settings

Started by GRUMPY_BA5TARD, September 12, 2011, 06:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRUMPY_BA5TARD

I just came across the programme and I think it's a wonderful, as I maintain 5 PCs for my family and using this would make my life much easier. However, one thing I noticed is that installing some updates using Patch My PC, such as Java and Skype changes some settings in those programmes.

For instance the setting to show Java in the system tray is turned off after updating through Patch My PC, but not if I do it manually. Similarly, I have Skype set not to start at Windows startup, but after updating through Patch My PC the setting is changed to start at Windows startup. This may also be the case for other programmes

It seems to me that ideally all setting should be left the same. Is this something that can be fixed?

Thanks

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Patch My PC uses the default silent installation method for software. You will have to manually change these settings if they are overwritten. However Java should only show in system tray when in use.

Justin

GRUMPY_BA5TARD

Thanks for the response. That answers my question.

Quote from: Justin on September 12, 2011, 10:10:02 AM
However Java should only show in system tray when in use.
It does.

Cheers

G_Mugford

Patch My PC uses the default silent installation method for software. You will have to manually change these settings if they are overwritten. However Java should only show in system tray when in use.

Justin

Justin,

I see potential in PatchMyPC. If nothing else, I will worry less about my father's computer and his ability to update the dreaded Adobe products. But I do have one issue that might be my fault. Everytime he runs the program, it uninstalls Java v6 and updates Java v7 when he pushes the button. Unfortunately, he has an application that requires Java 6 (or more techinically 1.6.x). Furthermore, some of his Firefox bookmarklets seem to have issues with Java 7 and it would be nice to keep Java 6 around. He knows to run the icon on the desktop for the Java 6 installer and just affirm each step. But there will be a day he forgets and a week or three later, there'll be an issue and I won't start the solution process at java. IS there a setting that will let me tell PatchMyPC to leave earlier versions of Java alone?

Thanks for taking the time to make conversations with Pops less stressful.  GM

Hey, There is a option in the config.xml document to ignore Java 7 updates this should resolve your issue. Here is the post regarding the config.xml http://patchmypc.net/forum/index.php?topic=16.0 let me know if this resolves your issue.

Justin

l
Quote from: G_Mugford on November 03, 2011, 12:56:12 AM

Justin

Justin,

I see potential in PatchMyPC. If nothing else, I will worry less about my father's computer and his ability to update the dreaded Adobe products. But I do have one issue that might be my fault. Everytime he runs the program, it uninstalls Java v6 and updates Java v7 when he pushes the button. Unfortunately, he has an application that requires Java 6 (or more techinically 1.6.x). Furthermore, some of his Firefox bookmarklets seem to have issues with Java 7 and it would be nice to keep Java 6 around. He knows to run the icon on the desktop for the Java 6 installer and just affirm each step. But there will be a day he forgets and a week or three later, there'll be an issue and I won't start the solution process at java. IS there a setting that will let me tell PatchMyPC to leave earlier versions of Java alone?

Thanks for taking the time to make conversations with Pops less stressful.  GM

G_Mugford

Justin,

The issue is NOT with Java 7. It's with the program's insistence on uninstalling Java 6, which SOME of the web-pages I visit require. The XML file will allow me to prevent Java 7 updates, but that is the last thing I want from a security standpoint of view. Having said that, Java 6 isn't going to get ITS remaining holes sealed any time soon. But PMP's insistence on deleting this separate program, for all intents and purposes, is making me put the program into the drawer. I have left myself a note to look at it again come spring. I like an AWFUL lot of what you are doing. And just running my jre-6u## installer after every use isn't arduous. Just off-putting.

I hope when I revisit the program, one of two things will have ocurred. Either you treat Java 6 separately, or the idiots still depending on Java 6 (or more technically 1.6), get their butts in gear and update.

See ya in March. GM

Why wait till March? I will most likely be releasing a incremental update in the next few days to fix some small bugs in 2.0.6. This is what I'm planning on doing to give users a option to keep Java 6 installed.

Quote from: G_Mugford on December 01, 2011, 01:15:21 AM
Justin,

The issue is NOT with Java 7. It's with the program's insistence on uninstalling Java 6, which SOME of the web-pages I visit require. The XML file will allow me to prevent Java 7 updates, but that is the last thing I want from a security standpoint of view. Having said that, Java 6 isn't going to get ITS remaining holes sealed any time soon. But PMP's insistence on deleting this separate program, for all intents and purposes, is making me put the program into the drawer. I have left myself a note to look at it again come spring. I like an AWFUL lot of what you are doing. And just running my jre-6u## installer after every use isn't arduous. Just off-putting.

I hope when I revisit the program, one of two things will have ocurred. Either you treat Java 6 separately, or the idiots still depending on Java 6 (or more technically 1.6), get their butts in gear and update.

See ya in March. GM