• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

.NET Core and Powershell Core

Started by mkmaster78, May 07, 2018, 01:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkmaster78

It would be great if you guys could add .NET Core and PowerShell Core to your updates catalog:
https://github.com/powershell/powershell
https://github.com/dotnet/core

Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

We will look into these applications.

Omar (Patch My PC)

For .Net Core, There is SDK and Runtime, v2.0.7 and v2.1.200 ! Which one are you asking for? :)

mkmaster78

Both SDK and Runtime would be great, if you could. And it looks like 2.0.7 is the latest released version (I, myself, am not interested in RC versions or anything, just the latest release versions, but I could understand if others were of a different viewpoint).

Omar (Patch My PC)

These were added in today's catalog update :)

PowerShell Core 6.0.2
Microsoft .NET Core Runtime 2.0.7
Microsoft .NET Core SDK 2.1.200

mkmaster78

Thanks! Very quick work!  I look forward to testing them out :)

Omar (Patch My PC)

Anytime! Please let us know if there is any issues :)

mkmaster78

It looks like there's an issue with the installable rules - on some of the old versions, the x64 version of .net core only put reg keys in the WOW6432Node (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\sharedhost) and so the update isn't detecting. I've got none of the .net core x86 ones detecting, but still investigating the cause for that.

Quote from: mkmaster78 on June 15, 2018, 09:21:31 AM
It looks like there's an issue with the installable rules - on some of the old versions, the x64 version of .net core only put reg keys in the WOW6432Node (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\sharedhost) and so the update isn't detecting. I've got none of the .net core x86 ones detecting, but still investigating the cause for that.

Do you have the installer for one of the versions adding this key?

mkmaster78

I do not, they predate my joining the company I work for and were installed by random techs.

Omar (Patch My PC)

What are the versions do you have installed on the affected machines for Runtime & SDK?

mkmaster78

Many versions - 1.0.1, 1.0.4, 1.1.0, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 2.0.5
Also, I have machines with x86 installed, and the appear to have the desired reg key (as listed in the Installable portion of the update in the catalog) but they don't detect it (and these machines detect and install other updates in your catalog just fine, so I know it isn't a general failure to accept 3rd party updates).  I can't find a root cause for it though.

Quote from: mkmaster78 on June 19, 2018, 09:16:04 AM
Many versions - 1.0.1, 1.0.4, 1.1.0, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 2.0.5
Also, I have machines with x86 installed, and the appear to have the desired reg key (as listed in the Installable portion of the update in the catalog) but they don't detect it (and these machines detect and install other updates in your catalog just fine, so I know it isn't a general failure to accept 3rd party updates).  I can't find a root cause for it though.

Could you reach out to us via our tech support email form https://patchmypc.net/technical-support. I think setting up a remote session with screen sharing may be the best next step.

Omar (Patch My PC)

Sorry about this! When I tested the old versions I only used v2 and I thought the old ones has the same rules but it turns out that it's a bit different!
So now I've fixed all these missing rules for x64  and added more rules for better detection for the older SDKs versions and now they all should work fine :)
Luckily there is a new update today!  2.1.1 with SDK 2.1.301
So it's a good time to test the new ones :) let us know if there is still any problems.
However, I don't know what's the problem of issue you have with x86 Runtimes :(  So Justin may help with that.

mkmaster78

Well, after the recent updated version added to the catalog, it looks like the x86 versions are detecting now.  I'll have to wait until patching cycle rolls around before finding out how the deployment goes.