• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Patch My PC Home Updater: Command-Lines, Silent-Switches And More Info

Started by Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC), August 20, 2011, 09:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Please see: https://patchmypc.net/faq-free-updater for the most up to date information.

The /auto switch - This switch will allow the current logged user to see the Patch My PC GUI. The update process will started automatically. If browsers are open Patch My PC will notify user in the log textbox browsers need to be closed before updates can continue.   

The /s switch - This switch will run Patch My PC in hidden in the background. If browsers are open it will recheck every ten seconds until browsers are closed then continue with the install.

Examples:

PatchMyPC.exe /s (Will run any needed updates automatically with no graphical interface).
PatchMyPC.exe /auto (Will run any needed updates automatically with a graphical interface).

Mark

So if PatchMyPC no longer uses the config.xml starting with 2.0.7, is there any way to turn off updating of certain programs listed under Common Updates, either through the GUI or otherwise?  I just donated to the cause and would really like this feature, along with the previously mentioned feature request to have offline updates possible.

Outstanding program.  You're doing a great job!

I need to make it more obvious, but you can right click the software label and you will have the option to install/skip the update.

Justin

Lord Necron

Quote from: rkulik on September 16, 2011, 09:55:29 AM
Are there any switches or use of the XML file to install the optional software as well?

Quote from: Justin on September 16, 2011, 10:18:56 PM
Added in version 2.0.2 you can download it now and download the latest config.xml from this post for a sample of how to install certain optional software by default. Good Idea!

Justin

Quote from: Justin on August 20, 2011, 09:06:29 PM
Patch My PC 2.0.7 and above no longer use the config.xml for customizing how it's run
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:25:09 PM by Justin »

What happened?

I'm adding these options into the program. Here is a screen shot of 2.0.7 Beta. There is going to be a options feature replacing the Windows Tools feature.

Quote from: Lord Necron on December 28, 2011, 01:30:03 PM
Quote from: rkulik on September 16, 2011, 09:55:29 AM
Are there any switches or use of the XML file to install the optional software as well?

Quote from: Justin on September 16, 2011, 10:18:56 PM
Added in version 2.0.2 you can download it now and download the latest config.xml from this post for a sample of how to install certain optional software by default. Good Idea!

Justin

Quote from: Justin on August 20, 2011, 09:06:29 PM
Patch My PC 2.0.7 and above no longer use the config.xml for customizing how it's run
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:25:09 PM by Justin »

What happened?

Lord Necron

Quote from: Justin on December 29, 2011, 09:54:15 AM
I'm adding these options into the program. <snip> There is going to be a options feature replacing the Windows Tools feature.

Very cool. Thank you!

naaitsab

Is it possible to create a switch that forces installation of all the common updates except the one marked as "skip" in the registry?

For example we have a clean install of Windows 7 64Bit;
User runs a small C# exe file (or .bat file) which writes the following to the registry:

RegKeyWrite = RegKeyWrite.CreateSubKey
("SOFTWARE\\Patch My PC");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("PATH", "C:/PatchMyPC.exe");

RegKeyWrite = RegKeyWrite.CreateSubKey ("Options");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("Language", "Dutch");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("LogSaveLocation", @"C:\");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipAppleiTunes", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipAppleQuicktime", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipGoogleChrome", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipMozillaFirefox", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipOracleJREx64", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipPiriformCCleaner", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipSkype", "1");

So when PatchMyPc runs with the desired switch it will install:

-Adobe air
-Adobe reader
-Flash
-Java
-Shockwave
-Silverlight

But because it's a clean installation none of these programs where installed before PatchMyPc was run, so if User runs the program with the same registry settings as above and the /Auto switch nothing is installed and PatchMyPc say's it's finished.

Any idea's of fixes for this?

Hey in version 2.1.1 and above there will be a switch too apply all common updates (Even if their not installed) if a common update is marked as skipped the update won't be installed though.

The command line argument will be /applyallcommon

Regards,

Justin

Quote from: naaitsab on April 21, 2012, 07:08:33 AM
Is it possible to create a switch that forces installation of all the common updates except the one marked as "skip" in the registry?

For example we have a clean install of Windows 7 64Bit;
User runs a small C# exe file (or .bat file) which writes the following to the registry:

RegKeyWrite = RegKeyWrite.CreateSubKey
("SOFTWARE\\Patch My PC");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("PATH", "C:/PatchMyPC.exe");

RegKeyWrite = RegKeyWrite.CreateSubKey ("Options");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("Language", "Dutch");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("LogSaveLocation", @"C:\");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipAppleiTunes", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipAppleQuicktime", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipGoogleChrome", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipMozillaFirefox", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipOracleJREx64", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipPiriformCCleaner", "1");
RegKeyWrite.SetValue("SkipSkype", "1");

So when PatchMyPc runs with the desired switch it will install:

-Adobe air
-Adobe reader
-Flash
-Java
-Shockwave
-Silverlight

But because it's a clean installation none of these programs where installed before PatchMyPc was run, so if User runs the program with the same registry settings as above and the /Auto switch nothing is installed and PatchMyPc say's it's finished.

Any idea's of fixes for this?

naaitsab

Quote from: Justin on April 27, 2012, 10:53:04 AM
Hey, I just wanted to let you know with version 2.1.1 there will be a switch too apply all common updates (Even if their not installed) if a common update is marked as skipped the update won't be installed though.

The command line argument will be /applyallcommon

Regards,

Justin

Thanks!
Much appreciated

hierisklaas

Hi, i have a very simple question;

let's say i have added patchmypc with parameters as a task in scheduled tasks in windows 7, added the parameter that it is updating hidden.
PMPC starts every monday, at 12:00. does it auto update itself when it starts? or do i need to click the .exe and open the gui for this?

Thank you for this great program! you serve our world with stuff we need!

Auto update won't work very well when using the auto update switch. I plan on adding support for updating Patch My PC (If Needed) when running in silent mode in the next version

hierisklaas

New version has been released that support updating Patch My PC (If Needed) automatically even when running silently. * You will have to check Auto update patch my pc in the options panel for this to apply.

MeZmeriZe

Sorry to pull up an old thread.. but it's about switches..

Is there a switch that tells it to install all common and all optional software unless it's in the ignore list?

I've setup a deployment that uses the registry keys and that works fine..  but it only updates the java/flash etc and we'd like it to install any of the optional software that it finds already installed. (google earth, winSCP irfanview that sort of thing.. basically anything it hasn't been told to ignore.

Is this possible?

regards

Frank

It should update anything that's currently installed when using the silent switch including other updates.

Quote from: MeZmeriZe on January 23, 2013, 10:48:05 PM
Sorry to pull up an old thread.. but it's about switches..

Is there a switch that tells it to install all common and all optional software unless it's in the ignore list?

I've setup a deployment that uses the registry keys and that works fine..  but it only updates the java/flash etc and we'd like it to install any of the optional software that it finds already installed. (google earth, winSCP irfanview that sort of thing.. basically anything it hasn't been told to ignore.

Is this possible?

regards

Frank