• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

New PatchMyPC Report

Started by EntrustDatacard, December 05, 2016, 02:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EntrustDatacard

I'm looking for a report that will scan a collection name aka device group for all 3rd party applications related to SCUP\PatchMyPC catalog that are installed? Example: I have 10 workstations in a group. I need a report to tell me all the 3rd party apps that are installed on those workstations and the version numbers. And the report would use the PatchMyPC\SCUP apps for the criteria for the apps to scan the group for.

I've been digging around the PatchMyPC reports for something like this and I can find OS updates when I drill down. But I cannot find all 3rd party apps installed and their versions for a specific collection name aka device group.

Anyone know how I can get that report?

Thanks in advance!
Andy

EntrustDatacard

I know I can use 04 - Installed Third-Party Applications report. It lets me select the collection name but then it only allows me a drop down for the app display name to select a single 3rd party app at a time. What I need is to select all and then run the report. that would work.

Anyone know how to modify report 04 to select all 3rd party apps in that list?

Andy

EntrustDatacard

I've tried to modify both reports 04 and 06 to allow the product in 06 and Display Name in 04 to allow multipule values but it doesn't come up with anything even though I know some of the apps I'm selecting on my list are installed on my collection. And if I run the report for single apps it works. So I'm going to keep looking but any help is appreciated.

I've even tried separating the apps by semi colon like so but no luck. Just blank or error.
7-Zip;Adobe Acrobat Pro;Adobe Air;Adobe Flash Player

Andy K

EntrustDatacard

So far all I can see to do is run report 04 on the same collection aka device group over and over and over for each app. Then I'd need to manually collect all that data and place it into my own report saying this device collection has these 3rd party apps installed, therefore I need to updated X these 3rd party apps. That might take a few hours and can but done but it would be really great if I could get a single report to do the work for me.

Anyone with custom report skills that could help me build that?

Another issue is if I run report 04 over and over for each app I also have about 4 device groups. So lets say 4 groups, I count 67 3rd party apps right now, so that's 268 reports I'd need to compile info for :(

Andy K

EntrustDatacard

Attached below is a screen shot of my custom report that allows multiple Display Name values for report 04. But when I select more than 1 I get this error below:

Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportServerException
An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.ServerUrlRequest(Boolean isAbortable, String url, Stream outputStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)
   at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.InternalRender(Boolean isAbortable, String format, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection urlAccessParameters, Stream reportStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)
   at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.AsyncMainStreamRenderingOperation.RenderServerReport(ServerReport report)
   at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.AsyncRenderingOperation.PerformOperation()
   at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportViewer.AsyncReportOperationWrapper.PerformOperation()
   at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ProcessingThread.ProcessThreadMain(Object arg)

-------------------------------

Query execution failed for dataset 'Chart'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand)

Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.ServerUrlRequest(Boolean isAbortable, String url, Stream outputStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)
   at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ServerReport.InternalRender(Boolean isAbortable, String format, String deviceInfo, NameValueCollection urlAccessParameters, Stream reportStream, String& mimeType, String& fileNameExtension)
   at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.AsyncMainStreamRenderingOperation.RenderServerReport(ServerReport report)
   at Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportViewer.AsyncReportOperationWrapper.PerformOperation()

Incorrect syntax near ','.

Stack Trace:

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

We will look into this request. Having a search for 70+ titles will likely be to resource intensive for SQL.

EntrustDatacard

Yes I agree it will probably be pretty SQL intensive but even if it takes 5 or even 10 minutes for this report to gather all the data and put it into a report. That will still be 10,000 times faster than me running all the reports separately one by one then putting all the data into a single report manually. My primary site server is also my report server so it a brand new 2012 R2 VM with a lot of hardware. So I'm not worried about pushing it too hard. It only runs at 4% when I run other large reports. Its a nice quick server.

I have 317 servers in my device group that I need to know all the 3rd party apps on and their version. Then I'll go and uninstall what is NOT needed or approved. What is left I'll update. But to get that info I'd need to run 76 reports on the device group with 317 servers in it. I guesstamate that would take a few days. And I'll need to run this report once a month to verify its all keeping secured.

Thanks again for your help! If there is anything I can do please let me know.

Andy K

EntrustDatacard

Who created the current PatchMyPC reports? Who ever did them did a great job! It seems like whoever created those would have the knowledge and experience to create what I'm looking for as well.

Hey Andy,

I created (Modified really from the update dashboard reports Gary Simmons originally created). I will look into what this would take and the SQL impact it would have. This will likely take awhile to do will update you accordingly.

Justin

Quote from: EntrustDatacard on December 06, 2016, 09:54:55 AM
Who created the current PatchMyPC reports? Who ever did them did a great job! It seems like whoever created those would have the knowledge and experience to create what I'm looking for as well.

EntrustDatacard

Thanks Justin I really appreciate the help! I'm sure I won't be the only one who will use this report once completed. Again let me know if I can help at all.

Andy K

EntrustDatacard

I've also talked to Justin about how the new report should work. Email details below:

Thanks for the feedback we will keep this in mind when looking at creating the reports.

Thanks,

Justin
Patch My PC Support
Patch Management Made Easy!
Support Number: +1 (720) 408-4659
Support Email: [email protected]
Support Forum: https://patchmypc.net/forum

Sent: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:10 AM
To: Patch My PC Support <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: SCUP Catalog - Technical Support - Entrust Datacard

Oh and one other thing IÔÇÖve thought of. If you do go ahead and create this report, which I really really hope you do, could you make it so you can either select all or select say 2 apps or select 5 or 10 etc? IÔÇÖd like to be able to take a device group then at first run against all the 3rd party PatchMyPC app list. Then once IÔÇÖve verified most are not even installed IÔÇÖd like to run again just the ones that are to save SQL time etc. Then in the future when there are only a few 3rd party apps still left IÔÇÖd like to be able to select just a few. So maybe a check box type of search for the apps against a device group. Something like that would be amazing! Thanks!

Thanks,
Andy Konczak

EntrustDatacard

I've gone through and manually run the 04 and 06 reports against the device groups I needed to. I have well over 150+ reports exported now. I've taken all the info and complied it into an Excel spreadsheet. Below is an example of what I've done. If you could put this detail in the new report your building and more that would be great. Thanks!

EntrustDatacard

Any update on this one? Its been about a month and a half since I made the request and I was told it will work. I'd like to save myself a few hours of time having to run all these reports again soon.

Thanks,
Andy K

Hi Andy,

We have a beta report available for version 1.1. At this point, we have added all the additional applications that wasn't in version 1.0.

I am still looking into a merged report that shows all apps. Right now, the way the programs are listed in the database and the wildcard method needed to check all apps may make it not possible to do in the current structure of the report.

We will see what me can do.

EntrustDatacard

Where can I get a copy of PatchMyPC Reports v1.1 beta? Thanks again for looking into this. I appreciate all the help!!

I get what your saying. One thing that might be nice is instead of choosing all the applications default for a report. Let us choose multiple apps for the reports. Do a check box next to each application so if I want to check all the apps and let SQL run for a few hours I can. Or if a manager needs to know, What versions of Adobe AIR, Flash and Reader do we have running on the desktops right now. I can go in check all 3 and run the version report. I know you'll find a way. Thanks again let me know if I can help out at all.

Andy K