• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Delaying updates on Required Applications

Started by swindmiller, June 06, 2023, 03:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swindmiller

We are using PatchMyPc for Intune and I understand how the regular Applications and Update Applications work. Our issue is our time to get Application Updates (not sure what it's called) from PatchMyPc is 2pm. The Required Applications then "update" shortly after that closing the application to do the update. This 2pm time cannot be changed due to other policies, but I was wondering if the deadline for just these regular Application's updates can be delayed until early the next morning. We see where we can set a deadline but feel that will also apply to the initial install. My assumption is if I set this deadline to say 2am and set an application as Required (to install for the first time) at 8am, it will not be installed until 2am the next morning. Am I correct in that assumption?

Ideally, we would want to set an Application to required and install it right away (which it does already) but then subsequent updates to that Required Application should only install on the device at 2am, not interrupting the user.

I hope all of that makes sense.

Thanks,
Scott

Priscilla (Patch My PC)

Hi Swindmiller,

We don't have a good built-in way to handle this at the moment, but you can use a requirement rule on the Intune App to not install if ANY version of the application you're deploying is found. Then by default, we can carry over that requirement rule when there's a new version of that app published to your tenant. If you'd like to schedule a call with us to go over this further as well as any other questions you may have, please feel free to use the following link: https://patchmypc.com/environment-review-call.

swindmiller

Ok that makes sense...I think. With that logic, could we then set the Update version of that app as required as well and then set the deadline on it to get the result I am looking for?

Priscilla (Patch My PC)

Yes, the requirement on the Intune app should allow the app to install only if no other version of the app is there. Then the Intune update will be able to install based on how you set up your assignment. I would recommend testing this first before deploying to production devices.

swindmiller

Priscilla (Patch My PC)

Sounds good. If you run into any issues, please feel free to open a technical support case with us: https://patchmypc.com/technical-support.