• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Firefox 65.0.1 x86 vs x64

Started by rcarr, February 28, 2019, 08:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcarr

Any known reason why when Firefox installs on a machine with both x64 and x86 versions - Firefox issue - that the patch runs on the x64 bit version and not x86? Case in point, we've several machines that have both versions, but only the x64 version gets updated to 65.0.1 and the x86 version is left alone? Is that a firefox issue or a detection rule issue, or does the client/customer actually need to run the x86 version to get it to recognize the install path?

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Does this key exist on the device? HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\firefox.exe

Just to clarify you have both Firefox x86 and x64 installed on the same machine?

rcarr

Yep, both. As far as I can figure, Mozilla knows that on a x64 bit machine, the x86 gets installed as well, and has been for some time - back to ver 50, at least. It is all over their forums. They recommend choosing the x86 version and removing it. For example - not going to post this as a working URL "https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1187643"

Key mentioned does exist. Only references x64 bit path (C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox)

Difference being located - as far as I can see in: HKLM\Software\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 62.0.3 points to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe, and HKLM\Software\Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 65.0.1 points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.

Is the x86 installation an EN-US install of Firefox?

rcarr

lovelmark

Technically x86 simply refers to a family of processors and the instruction set they all use. It doesn't actually say anything specific about data sizes. The term x86 started out as a 16-bit instruction set for 16-bit processors (the 8086 and 8088 processors), then was extended to a 32-bit instruction set for 32-bit processors (80386 and 80486), and now has been extended to a 64-bit instruction set for 64-bit processors. It used to be written as 80x86 to reflect the changing value in the middle of the chip model numbers, but somewhere along the line the 80 in the front was dropped, leaving just x86.