• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Power BI Desktop: needs to be closed in order to update

Started by PS_Alex, May 11, 2022, 05:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PS_Alex

Hi!

So I'm new here in using Patch My PC.

Trying to use the latest Microsoft Power BI Desktop 2.104.941 (x64) software update as published in SCCM by Patch My PC to update current installs of PBI Desktop. I notice that the PBI Desktop installer proceed with a software uninstall before installing the newest release. This causes two behaviors I'm wondering how to work around:
- the software update would not install when an instance of Power BI Desktop is running, and there is no notification i.e. in the PBI Desktop's user interface to request the user to close the app. Thus, the software update installation fails;
- any customization made during an initial installation is lost. For example, here, we set the default language to French using the LANGUAGE=fr-FR installation option in our SCCM application; after the installation is completed, there is an HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Power BI Desktop:DefaultUICulture = fr-FR registry value. During the software update installation, I noticed that the whole Microsoft Power BI Desktop key is deleted, and after the software update is installed, the value of DefaultUICulture = en-US.

How do you guys work around these limitations?

Liviu (Patch My PC)

Hi PS_Alex,

Apologies for not replying to your question until now.
Related to your first question, you could make sure that the application is not running at the time of the install by using the Manage conflicting processes option.

As for the second question, if you need to modify the registry entries to set them in a specific language, you can do so by using a Post Script.