• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Adobe Digital Editions detection method not specific enough (Bug)

Started by Mquazi33, August 26, 2021, 07:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mquazi33

Bug - Adobe Digital Editions is not updating,
from
4.5.11.187212 released 2019,
to
4.5.11.187303 released 2020-04-14

We are using Config Manager (enterprise)

Problem is that the DisplayVersion, and File version are both 4.5.11 in both versions, so the detection method does not distinguish between them.  The only way to tell them apart is to look at the installed EXE, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions 4.5\DigitalEditions.exe", and compare the Modified date.

I looked at the parameters in the Powershell detection script, and there does not seem to be any way to seed possible file modified date(s) (ConfigManager can take a range).

Can this be fixed, so that Adobe Digital Editions Application Detection can see that the application needs updating?

Or, what are the implications if I just manually replace the powershell detection script with good-old-fashioned hand-crafted detection rule types that we previously had working (before we subsribed to PMPC), and leave the rest in place, until you can come up with a fix?

Thanks.

Scott (Patch My PC)

Hey!

Thanks for reaching out with this

Give us some time to investigate this internally and we'll get back to you :)

Scott

Mquazi33

May I suggest to your techs, to look in the powershell detection script structure, and add hash-type parameter and function to deal with file attribute detection (to match what ConfigMgr offers) much like you have a registry hash-parameter and function?

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Quote from: Mquazi33 on August 31, 2021, 12:23:02 AM
May I suggest to your techs, to look in the powershell detection script structure, and add hash-type parameter and function to deal with file attribute detection (to match what ConfigMgr offers) much like you have a registry hash-parameter and function?

Would you be able to submit a feature request here https://ideas.patchmypc.com/ to ensure we are tracking this request.

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

To follow up regarding this exact issue: we will be removing the product from our catalogue from all tabs except the Updates tab, so you will still be able to create software update for it in WSUS/ConfigMgr - WSUS applicability rules gives us greater flexibility than our detection mechanisms do for Intune Apps/Updates and ConfigMgr Apps.

With that said, we won't be able to correct the detection for this product as a software update until the next update of the Publisher as we identified a bug while trying to publish updates to WSUS with custom success exit codes - this product exits with exit code 1223 and we need to configure WSUS to interpret that as a success.

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

Yesterday we updated in our catalogue and this update removed Adobe Digital Editions from the ConfigMgr Apps and Intune tabs - however this update is still supported as a WSUS/ConfigMgr software update. Yesterday we also improved the detection logic to cope with this nonsense by Adobe of updating their software but not the version number itself in the registry.

To receive this new detection logic, please republish the software update if you want it as a software update (I appreciate this post has been mostly discussing ConfigMgr Apps): https://patchmypc.com/when-and-how-to-republish-third-party-updates

I'm not sure if you created this uservoice item or not, I believe you did, but if you didn't, please vote on this idea because I still believe we should be able to be more flexible in situations like this where vendors like Adobe completely deviate from 'standards': https://ideas.patchmypc.com/ideas/PATCHMYPC-I-1591