• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Google Chrome 88.0.4324.190 (x64) - RDS Servers

Started by andrew, February 25, 2021, 04:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew

Are there any known issues with Google Chrome 88.0.4324.190 (x64)? I'm seeing clients having difficulty installing all updates in the last 24 hours. On a few machines that I've looked into, there's a pattern emerging, Chrome is the first PatchMyPC update to attempt installation and fails.

An error occurred: Process must exit before requested information can be determined.
Void EnsureState(State)

Subsequent MSI installs don't run because another installation is already running:
MsiExec is already running (1618).

Going the keep digging..

Cody Mathis (Patch My PC)

Hello,

I believe this is the first issue we are hearing of. You are welcome to submit a support case at the below URL and provide the logs described in the second UR: below.

https://patchmypc.com/technical-support
https://patchmypc.com/collecting-log-files-for-patch-my-pc-support#update-troubleshooting-client-logs

andrew

This version of the Chrome installer seems to be clashing with RDS's Windows Installer Coordinator. On RDS servers, the install starts and then gets stuck. I'm yet to see issues on non-RDS servers (which lack the Windows Installer Coordinator).

When I disable Windows Installer Coordinator (either before the install or while the installer is 'stuck'), the installer more-or-less immediately resumes. I suspect this is a bug/feature in the new Chrome Installer. We'll try using the pre/post script to work around this for now but a bugreport to Google may be necessary.

Possible that this will also happen to Edge and other Chromium based browsers as they're based on the same code.

Can enable and disable the WIC using:
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\TSAppSrv\TSMSI" -Name "enable" -Value 0
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\TSAppSrv\TSMSI" -Name "enable" -Value 1

Cody Mathis (Patch My PC)

Good catch! Interesting thing for Chrome to change.... I wonder if this has to do with the flash deprecation maybe?