• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Update PUTTY to 0.70

Started by Schneider.sv, July 12, 2017, 11:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schneider.sv

Dear all,

An update for Putty is available with some security fixes.
Can you check, why the update is not assigned the catalog?

Best regards
Sven

Omar (Patch My PC)

We are using the exe installer but they didn't release an exe installer with v0.70 ! And the msi installer doesn't install if the exe is installed ! We will see what to do ASAP.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Wanted to follow up a little more on this topic. The new installer for Putty version 0.70 uses an MSI. All previous installers used a INNO EXE installer.

Within the new MSI installer there is a LaunchCondition to check if the current Putty installer was performed with the legacy INNO EXE installer. If this is the case it will error with "A version of PuTTY is already installed on this system using the old Inno Setup installer. Please uninstall that before running the new installer."

What we will likely do is skip the 0.70 MSI release since it will be unable to upgrade existing installs. We will add the next MSI release and have it update any Putty install that is 0.70 or greater. What I would recommend is use an application for Putty 0.70 MSI in SCCM. Within the application install you can specify a supercedence relationship for previous Putty versions and have it run the Inno EXE uninstall in the supercedence.

UPDATE: It also looks like there were some MSI's available for previous Putty versions did you use the MSI for EXE for your Putty install?

Thanks,

Justin

Quote from: Schneider.sv on July 12, 2017, 11:14:16 PM
Dear all,

An update for Putty is available with some security fixes.
Can you check, why the update is not assigned the catalog?

Best regards
Sven

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Following up on this one.

We added 0.70 in today's catalog update. This also added support for the x64 version of Putty.

Note: The rules will only detect this update as applicable if the existing Putty install was performed using their MSI installer. If it was orginially installed using an EXE you will need to use the method mentioned above to uninstall the EXE and install the MSI version.

Thanks,

Justin

Schneider.sv