• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

PatchMyPC updates softwares without retaining the original install location

Started by kenijo, March 14, 2018, 06:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenijo

I install most of my software in a location that is not the default one: C:\Software
When PatchMyPC detacts an update, it updates some software in their proper location (my custom location) and some others in the default location: Program Files or Program Files (x86).

I found a few in the past but cannot remember which one they were. The latest ones I have encountered not working include:

• VLC Media Player 3
  • Mozilla Firefox 52

I attached the log for when I updated Firefox

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

We are simply calling the installation from the vendor using their silent install command. This would really by on their installer to retain the current install path for their application. As a workaround, you could disable the silent installation of apps in the options menu. This would download the app and launch it to ensure you can enter a custom path for apps that don't retain it.

Quote from: kenijo on March 14, 2018, 06:37:29 AM
I install most of my software in a location that is not the default one: C:\Software
When PatchMyPC detacts an update, it updates some software in their proper location (my custom location) and some others in the default location: Program Files or Program Files (x86).

I found a few in the past but cannot remember which one they were. The latest ones I have encountered not working include:

• VLC Media Player 3
  • Mozilla Firefox 52

I attached the log for when I updated Firefox

kenijo

Thank you, that makes sense.

I tried disabling the silent updater and curiously Mozilla Firefox detect the proper path (in C:\Software) in that case.
I guess it has to do with the silent updater from Mozilla Firefox. I'll do more test and will report the issue to the affected developers as needed.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

So if you run a new version of Firefox manually the install process did default to your existing install folder, but it doesn't during a silent install?

Pepper

This is the same issue I was seeing with the OCZ SSD utility, back when I reported that one. I don't know if it ever worked correctly because I stopped importing and approving those.