• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

R for Windows update does leave old versions on the PC

Started by wokkeltje, March 21, 2019, 02:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wokkeltje

This is probably an issue of the software itselve, but on their website they write the following about how to upgrade
file:///C:/Program%20Files/R/R-3.5.3/doc/html/rw-FAQ.html#Can-I-customize-the-installation_003f
---------------
2.8 WhatÔÇÖs the best way to upgrade?

ThatÔÇÖs a matter of taste. For most people the best thing to do is to uninstall R (see the previous Q), install the new version, copy any installed packages to the library folder in the new installation, run update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE) in the new R and then delete anything left of the old installation. Different versions of R are quite deliberately installed in parallel folders so you can keep old versions around if you wish.

For those with a personal library (folder R\win-library\x.y of your home directory, R\win64-library\x.y on 64-bit builds), you will need to update that too when the minor version of R changes (e.g. from 3.0.2 to 3.1.0). A simple way to do so is to copy (say) R\win-library\3.0 to R\win-library\3.1 before running update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE).
---------------

It would be nice to have a possibility to uninstall previous versions during update.

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

We will have an option where you can add custom commands in the next update. This should help if you need to change the installation behavior.