• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Git 2.22.0 (x64)

Started by Jacon, June 19, 2019, 02:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacon

Update to a.m. version installed OK & correctly reported in left panel (as in subject),
but steady present as not updated in right panel (in red) in this form:

Git version 2.22.0.windows.1

Those "version" & "windows.1" are obviously wrong...

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Check the uninstall tab is two versions listed?

Jacon

Nope - only that red version:

Git version 2.22.0.windows.1

Exactly the same in Windows "Uninstall or change program" window.

RichardEb

"Windows 2.22.0.windows.1" seems to be hotfix of "Windows 2.22.0". Perhaps "2.22.0.windows.1" identifies itself as "Windows 2.22.0" so PatchMyPc can't distinguish this two versions.

Ps: I have the same issue.

374kjjkj

I also have this issue. I've uninstalled Git and re-installed it, even using PMP, only to have it show up again as red (outdated).

If anyone needs more info to help debug, I'm happy to supply it if I can.

For now, you can click click and skip scanning for this product.

374kjjkj

Quote from: Justin Chalfant on July 08, 2019, 04:50:27 AM

Can you clarify what is "click click" ? Double click?

If I right-click, I can effectively disable updates for that product. However, it seems not the right thing to do since security is important.

Otherwise, the reason I wrote here is that 1) PMP thinks it needs updating upon each launch (which appears to be wrong), 2) It downloads it (wasting bandwidth) and takes time to update for nothing (wasting time).

I infer from your answer that we just have to live with this bug?

The only workaround on our end it to disable scanning for GIT and let the products self-updater handle it. You could also reach out to Git and ask them to fix the versioning to be a standard version in their next update.

Quote from: 374kjjkj on July 08, 2019, 05:52:40 AM
Quote from: Justin Chalfant on July 08, 2019, 04:50:27 AM

Can you clarify what is "click click" ? Double click?

If I right-click, I can effectively disable updates for that product. However, it seems not the right thing to do since security is important.

Otherwise, the reason I wrote here is that 1) PMP thinks it needs updating upon each launch (which appears to be wrong), 2) It downloads it (wasting bandwidth) and takes time to update for nothing (wasting time).

I infer from your answer that we just have to live with this bug?

Ungala

Bug is still present with 2.23.0.

Omar (Patch My PC)

Ungala

Quote from: Admin - Omar on September 14, 2019, 09:21:37 AM
What about now?
Still not working. Did you change something? Out of curiosity, how do you retrieve the latest git version number available to download?

Quote from: Justin Chalfant on July 08, 2019, 07:26:35 AM
You could also reach out to Git and ask them to fix the versioning to be a standard version in their next update.
I think you should not ask your users to fix the issues of your software. I can understand that you do not want to fix the hundreds of software supported by PatchMyPC but you could at least warn Git developers. How can they know about your issue if you do not tell them?

Anyway I did the work for you, I sent a mail, got redirected here:
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/2223
And finally submitted a pull request:
https://github.com/git-for-windows/build-extra/pull/257

With the Git installer I built locally, PatchMyPC now properly detects Git 2.23.0.1 as up-to-date.

wimpers

Git keeps on being perceived as updated each time, this has been going on for a few months already...
Now still happening with Git version 2.23.0.windows.1 on Windows 7 x64.

Ungala

Following the second link in my previous message, you can see that my pull request has been approved and merged into the master branch of git-for-windows. So the version consistency fix will be integrated into the next release of Git for Windows (probably 2.24.0.1).

Edit:
You can follow Git for Windows releases here (version 2.24 is currently in Pre-release state) :
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/releases

Jacon

This problem appears to be fixed with actual release - Git version 2.24.0  ;D

Omar (Patch My PC)

Quote from: Jacon on November 06, 2019, 12:29:01 PM
This problem appears to be fixed with actual release - Git version 2.24.0  ;D

Thank god! Let's hope it doesn't happen again!