• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

DisplayLink 9.2.2335.0 Update issue - not applicable

Started by fgn, November 13, 2019, 02:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgn

Hi,

i am not quite sure if this is really an issue of Patch My PC update package but I am unable to successfully install above update (DL-9.2M2).
After successfully publishing the update I try to install it on a test client via Software Center (as it is reported as I needed update). Unfortunately it is running into error 0x80240017(-2145124329) which translates to Update not applicable according to google.
I cannot see any messages in event log or in any CCM log that is relevant (to my knowledge).
Also I tested with some other clients (different models) with no success.

If I run the exe installer that is downloaded into my ccmcache folder manually I can successfully run the update with no further issue.

So my question is regarding the rules of the update package and where to find any further details about why it isn't running anything.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Wes Mitchell

Hello FGN, you are seeing that error because there is a higher version patch for the product.  The updated version is 9.2 M3 release on Nov 5 2019. https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/windows

fgn

Hi mitchelw,

thanks for your reply. Indeed I did not realize that there is a new version out despite checking the rss feed.

What doesn't make sense for me yet though is, as the catalog sync wasn't done yet, the 'old' update has not been marked as superseded / expired. So I would assume the update would install fine over the currently installed one (9.1.x).

Can someone please enlighten me about how the detection / applicable rule is working as I may see some issues with rolling out updates like that.
If I deploy an update of any kind of software it usually takes some time until every client has been online and installed the update.
So if the update gets superseded (or not applicable) without synchronizing my SUP I will have a deployment that runs into errors for every client that is not updated yet.

In my understanding an update was applicable until SUP is synchronized again and it will receive the updated metadata.

Thank you

Best regards