• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

TeamViewer 15.20.6 everyday

Started by highstream, August 30, 2021, 01:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highstream

For the past week, Patch has shown TeamViewer 15.20.6 (x64) every day, even though it's installed -- a few times now! -- and a search finds no other version is anywhere else on my main drive. I thought maybe TeamViewer was having problems that needed repeated updates, but checking now that's not the case.

StPendl

The latest Teamviewer release is 15.21.5
The list on the right hand side of the window displays the installed version in red, if it needs updating.
The list on the left hand side of the window displays the version to update to.

It might be the case that you have Teamviewer running in the background and PMPC is not able to close it for updating.
You may have to check the log file of PMPC to see what is causing this issue to be able to resolve it.

highstream

You're correct, TeamViewer is running in the background on start up. I wasn't aware of that and will correct it. However, that begs the question: why day after day does PMPC show the install of 15.21.5 as successful when it's not? I've attached some screenshots from what happens after rebooting and running PMPC for TeamViewer. They show the results, along with shots of RevoPro and the executable's Properties' details. Seems like a bug.

StPendl

If you are starting applications at the Windows startup it is good to enable the automatic closing of running applications before updating them, see attached image.
If you use the scheduled task to run automatic updates, this will close all applications that are updated, even if you currently work with one.
You should really check the log file created by PMPC to check what the real issue is that the update fails, see the options for its location.

highstream

Attached is the log for the past two days. Don't see any failures in the 15.20.6 installs. Further back in the past week, on 8-24 & 8-25 15.20.4 showed as installed successfully, and on 8-27 and 8-28 15.20.5 likewise. This seems like something that should be handled in either TeamViewer's install program or PMPC, or both. Being prompted to close a running process or being asked if it's ok to close it is common. In this case neither is happening and PMPC is giving a false result. If PMPC has an auto close, then presumably it should also trigger a request to close. I don't think many users remember every process they have in startup or can be expected to.

StPendl

PMPC will display a notification to close the running application if the update is done interactively through PMPC, if I remember correctly.
Teamviewer usually cancels any running instance on update, but it is a long time ago that I installed Teamviewer manually, so that might have changed.
Lets see what the PMPC staff comes up with.

highstream

That's what I thought, but looking at my startup list (Task Mgr), TeamViewer and Java seem the only ones PMPC deals with. Right now TeamViewer is not there, even though I didn't do anything to remove it, but it is checked in Autoruns. Will see. In any case, thanks for your help.

StPendl

Teamviewer is not restarted after an update, you need to start Teamviewer manually afterwards or reboot the system.

StPendl

If I remember correctly, Teamviewer is not even restarted after a manual update, since the setting "start with Windows startup" is not enabled by default.

highstream

Autoruns shows TeamViewer_Service.exe sets itself to start.

highstream

Even with TeamViewer process stopped, I'm finding Patch doesn't actually install the update, although it says that it has.

StPendl

Are there more than one entry for Teamviewer with different version numbers in "Apps and Features"?
If so, remove both and install only one instance of Teamviewer.
You may also check the uninstaller section of PMPC, since that lists the 32-bit and 64-bit uninstall entries of the registry separately.

highstream

I found the problem: PMPC has been installing it in \AppData\Local\Temp instead of \Program Files. How does one fix that?

StPendl

Remove any instance of Teamviewer, reboot the system to get everything cleared and install Teamviewer through PMPC.