• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Visual Studio Code v1.65.2 (x64)

Started by Qitonia, March 15, 2022, 09:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qitonia

This isn't a huge issue for me because I use Visual Studio Code daily and I check for updates to VS code constantly.  However, I thought you might like to know that VS Code is not detected by PatchMyPC on my Windows 10 PC, even when I check the box for it.  I believe this has everything to do with the path VS Code was installed in.  There was a time when I had two instances of VS Code installed, simply because PatchMyPC would install it at a different location than where VS Code was installed from the Microsoft Windows installer.  The instance that PatchMyPC installed would update automatically, but the original instance would not, so I would have to do it manually.  The path to my current instance of VS Code executable is "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\Code.exe" and I know that sounds weird.  It seems like it should be installed in the "C:\Program Files" directory somewhere, but it is not, and I seem to recall that reinstalling VS Code does not put it in this directory/folder.  Anyway, I thought you might like to know.  I love PatchMyPC Updater!  Thank you so much for providing this extremely useful and powerful tool to all of us!

Omar (Patch My PC)

Hey there!
Yes this happens because there are 2 types of installers for Visual Studio Code:
There is "User Installer" which installs under "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Programs\"
There is "System Installer" which installs under "C:\Program Files" like most apps
You can check both from there:
https://code.visualstudio.com/Download

We are only using the "System Installer" since it was the only one in the past, so the "User Installer" will not be detected by Patch My PC like in your case :)
If you removed it and installed "System Installer" (or installed it from Patch My PC) it will always be detected right for you from now on! But of course you have to be careful about the saved settings and projects!
Not sure if we will support "User Installer" in the future or not, But I can't promise we will :)