• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Software Center installs failing b/c pending reboot.

Started by funkytechmonkey, March 28, 2024, 06:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funkytechmonkey

Long time admirer, first time poster..

This is probably more of a general SCCM question but hopefully one of you guys can help me out with this.

We give users a 14 day grace period to reboot after updates have been deployed (I don't agree with this, but out of my hands) Something very common I see is users and our service desk try to install software from software center and it fails. Its just a generic error and doesn't give the user any information like "Failed because pending reboot".

Is there anything I can do about this? I am the lone SCCM admin and still learning so any help would be great.

Raunak Desai (Patch My PC)

Hey !

Thank you for reaching out.

Certainly! The situation you described is quite common in environments where software updates are deployed through SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager).

Personaly, I don't think there is anything they can do except reboot the machines. What I can suggest is : Only give a few days restart grace period instead of 14.

You can configure SCCM to automatically schedule reboots after updates are installed. This ensures that systems are rebooted within a reasonable timeframe, minimizing the likelihood of pending reboots causing issues during software installations. However, be cautious with this approach, as unexpected reboots can disrupt user workflow.

Regards,
Raunak