• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Google Chrome is being detected as an older version that with what is installed.

Started by SnakeByte, January 20, 2016, 11:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnakeByte

Running Patch My PC Updater 3.0.32 with 20-January-2016 definitions on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit machine.

It is detecting Google Chrome - 47.0.2526.80

However when I open Google Chrome, and go to Help, About, I'm seeing 47.0.2526.111 as the version (The same version that the updater wants to install).  How is the program detecting the older version?  Do I have some stale registry keys or something else that needs to be cleaned up?

SnakeByte

I looked further into the system and if I go to Add Remove Programs, I see Google Chrome listed with the older version #.  It looks like the version info was never updated in the registry when the program was updated.

Just to make sure, I did a search for all chrome.exe files on the C drive.  There is only one:  "c:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe".  If I right click on the file and click on the Details tab, I see the version showing as 47.0.2526.111

Is there any way to get patchmypc to detect the version based on the installed binary and not from the registry?

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

We will look into this currently it's looking at the registry.

Quote from: SnakeByte on January 20, 2016, 11:41:10 AM
I looked further into the system and if I go to Add Remove Programs, I see Google Chrome listed with the older version #.  It looks like the version info was never updated in the registry when the program was updated.

Just to make sure, I did a search for all chrome.exe files on the C drive.  There is only one:  "c:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe".  If I right click on the file and click on the Details tab, I see the version showing as 47.0.2526.111

Is there any way to get patchmypc to detect the version based on the installed binary and not from the registry?

SnakeByte

If it helps, another easy way to check the version installed is to look for a subfolder in the install directory.  The subfolder will be the version number.

For example, in:  "%program files%\Google\Chrome\Application" I have a folder titled "48.0.2564.82"

QueuedShelves

I have the same problem, it always think i have 49.0.2623.87.
And another thing, every time I add Chrome to the "do not update" list it doesn't stay added the next time I run start the updater.
This is only an issue on one of my computers, can give more info if you want.

Speaking of Chrome, if the update was silent and didn't start Chrome afterwards I would be very happy. This happens on all PCs I believe.

SimonZerafa

Hi,

Is anyone working on this issue with PatchMyPC and Google Chrome?

I have the 64bit version of Chrome installed on Windows 10 and PatchMyPC is constantly reporting that an older version is installed and out of date when a newer one is already present on the PC!

Is this a detection issue with version numbers stored in the Registry or some other issue within PatchMyPC?

Regards

Simon

Yes we are looking into this. Yes, the issue is due the version in the registry not being updated when Chrome does it's self-update. This really should be incremented in the registry by google's updater but it's not. For now, I would recommend setting the option for Chrome not to update.

Quote from: SimonZerafa on May 28, 2016, 07:25:25 AM
Hi,

Is anyone working on this issue with PatchMyPC and Google Chrome?

I have the 64bit version of Chrome installed on Windows 10 and PatchMyPC is constantly reporting that an older version is installed and out of date when a newer one is already present on the PC!

Is this a detection issue with version numbers stored in the Registry or some other issue within PatchMyPC?

Regards

Simon

QueuedShelves

I think I solved my issue, I at some point installed chrome via an msi installer and that screwed with the version numbering somehow. It also made it impossible for patchmypc to ignore somehow.
Uninstalled and reinstalled and that solved it.