• Welcome to Support Forum: Get Support for Patch My PC Products and Services.

Microsoft Teams Application

Started by ronmanp, March 26, 2020, 05:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronmanp

Hi,

We publish the Microsoft Teams (x64) application with PatchMyPC Publishing Service which works fine. The installation succeeds but unfortunately it isn't actually available until the user reopens his Windows session.
I understand that the machine installation of Teams is just an installer in ProgramFiles that is triggered for each user that logs into the machine. The problem we experience is that when users install the application from Software Center they expect to have access to the application once the install completes and not have to log off/on. I assume you use the parameter OPTIONS="noAutoStart=true" ?
Is there a way to override that? Would it even work when installed as system? Would I run into trouble I if tried that?

Thanks!
Pierre

Justin Chalfant (Patch My PC)

Sorry for the delay, we had a notification issue on the forum. I believe this was answered via email?

djeronimo

Can we have the answer posted here?

Cody Mathis (Patch My PC)

This is how the Teams Machine Wide Installer functions from Microsoft. They discuss this in their docs here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/msi-deployment#pc-installation. With the notable line being: "The Teams MSI will place an installer in Program Files. Whenever a user signs into a new Windows User Profile, the installer will be launched and a copy of the Teams app will be installed in that user's AppData folder. If a user already has the Teams app installed in the AppData folder, the MSI installer will skip the process for that user."

So, any user will have Teams installed in their user profile the next time they log into their PC, which is typically when the PC reboots in most cases. They say 'new Windows User Profile' in the doc but it really just applies to the first time a user logs on after the Teams Machine Wide installer has been installed.

I hope this helps clear up what is happening.

swoonhusker

When we install the PMPC install of Teams (Teams Machine Wide Installer) in the task sequence, it installs after Microsoft Office. Our Office install does not include Teams. But when a user logs into the computer, it does not launch the installer or have a copy of the teams app that gets installed in the user's AppData folder.

Is there something we are missing?

I also tried taking a virtual I had teams installed on and I uninstall the teams app in my profile and also uninstalled the machine wide installer version 1.4. I installed the PMPC teams machine wide installer which is version 1.5 right now. Then I restarted the virtual and logged in, but it does not create the purple teams app in the apps and features list and I don't know why.

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

Microsoft Teams generally creates a Run reg value for all users to execute Teams for each logon. You can learn more about the Run / RunOnce registry keys here if you're unfamiliar: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/setupapi/run-and-runonce-registry-keys

To my understanding, Microsoft Teams creates the following Run registry value (see below image). Do you see this on your devices after installing Teams?

swoonhusker

It looks like when I run the 64 bit Teams install it puts the folder in Program Files (x86), but that Run registry key is pointing to the Program Files folder I attached a screenshot. Is this a mistake by Microsoft?

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

Quote from: swoonhusker on March 24, 2022, 09:55:44 AM
It looks like when I run the 64 bit Teams install it puts the folder in Program Files (x86), but that Run registry key is pointing to the Program Files folder I attached a screenshot. Is this a mistake by Microsoft?

No, because as far as I know it's in the WOW6432NODE key path of the registry so it will resolve to the Program Files (x86).

I can actually reproduce this. Teams isn't starting for me.

In my %LocalAppData%\SquirrelTemp\SquirrelSetup.log I saw the below whenever I logged on, and when I tried to ran the command line in the Run key manually:

Quote2022-03-24 10:08:45> RegistryService: RegKeyExists: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Teams has PreventInstallationFromMsi. Data - 1

I had to delete the registry value PreventInstallationFromMsi under the key the log references in order for Teams to start. Does this work for you too? I was testing on Windows 11 which does come with the new 'home' Teams app - I wonder if that's relevant.

swoonhusker

I tried deleting that key. I attached a picture from before I deleted it.

After deleting it I restarted the computer and logged in, but I still only see the teams machine wide installer in my apps and features, so I don't think it's running for my profile. Any other suggestions? I really appreciate your help Adam!

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

Quote from: swoonhusker on March 24, 2022, 01:45:05 PM
I tried deleting that key. I attached a picture from before I deleted it.

After deleting it I restarted the computer and logged in, but I still only see the teams machine wide installer in my apps and features, so I don't think it's running for my profile. Any other suggestions? I really appreciate your help Adam!

Perhaps you could share %LocalAppData%\SquirrelTemp\SquirrelSetup.log?

swoonhusker

Sorry for the late reply Adam, I imaged a new computer without Office and then did the Patch My PC 64 bit install in Software Center and I don't see a SquirrelTemp folder. I restarted the computer and logged back in and now I see the SquirrelTemp folder and I attached the log.

Something interesting I noticed is that when I type Teams in the search bar I find the app, but there is no desktop icon or the purple teams in the Apps and Features, only the machine wide installer.

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

I'm sorry, I cannot reproduce your described behaviour.

swoonhusker

Hmm, I don't see teams when I search in the start menu now. I also don't have the PreventInstalltionFromMsi key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Teams.

I'm guessing our only option is to go back to putting teams in the Office install and stop using the Patch My PC install of Teams. Maybe if we try it sometime in the future a newer version will work. Thanks for trying to reproduce it at least.

Adam Cook (Patch My PC)

Do you experience the same if you packaged Teams manually and used that in a task sequence? That would be indiciative of whether it's a Teams issue, or perhaps something we're doing at the time of install with the Teams installer.

Here is a link to the installer we use (offered both 32bit and 64bit):

Quotehttps://statics.teams.cdn.office.net/production-windows-x64/1.5.00.5967/Teams_windows_x64.msi
https://statics.teams.cdn.office.net/production-windows/1.5.00.5967/Teams_windows.msi

and here are the parameters we also use:

QuoteReboot=ReallySuppress ALLUSERS=1 /qb

swoonhusker

I just wanted to update and let you know that I think our issue was caused by Cylance. After delaying it, the Patch My PC install of Team seems to work fine. Thanks